Browsing: Mice Nesting in a Car

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Mice Nesting in a Car

A warm engine compartment can be enticing to rodents looking for shelter. This guide is about mice nesting in a car.

Rodent nest in a car's engine compartment.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 4, 2011 Flag

Does any one have any idea to keep mice out of my car engine? They have been making a nest in my engine a couple of times. I don't want them making things dangerous for me and my car.

By Donna from Foymount, Ontario

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Numerous studies have proven the ultrasonics do not work.

Rid-a-Rat.com has proven in their labs that their new technology works on almost all vermin using light technology which is patent pending.

The company ships all over and to Canada. Here in Arizona you can buy them in hardware stores and some garages and car dealers.

Kyle

Ultrasonic treatment devices (such as ultrasonic flea collars) claimed to rid homes of pests are completely ineffective. University of North Dakota.

Ultrasonic devices do not meet advertisers claims for their products. University of Maryland.

Found this on the news today

http://globalnews.ca/news/1958337/r ... asing-problem-in-the-lower-mainland/

Read More Answers...

December 11, 2009 Flag

I need help. I have mice under the hood of my car nesting, chewing, and I'm so afraid after pulling all that junk out every night, cigarette butts, dog food, dried grass, just trash, that I will have a fire. My car is brand new and they have chewed wire and most of the insulation off of my hood. Can anyone help me please. I need a magic cure to stop these mice.

By Erica from AR

We have all kinds of animals that get in our cars in Arizona. Our hardware stores sell a great new product that doesn't kill but just chases the animals away.It has saved me a lot of money this year.

My friend in Prescott got one when he saw a rabbit in his car and had to have it repaired 3 times in the same week. He opened the hood and saw the rabbit.

We are both very happy with our rid-a-rat. It is green and just some how chase the animals away. I don't want poison around it can kill hawks and other animals.

All of my neighbors use them.

Hey,what did you use?

I just spent $1200 on my 2013 wrangler... Mice chewed through worrying and I also needed a complete diagnosis of my car. I purchased one of the granular animal chasers at Home Depot. I spread a perimeter around my car and tomorrow when I move it, I will pour a bottle of the same on the ground where my car sits(the entire area under the car). this will hopefully prevent an animal from getting under the car and jumping up. from reading the labels though, I am under the impression that it is effective for all but mice, which may require a mouse chaser listed on the Internet.

Read More Answers...

June 5, 2013 Flag

I bought a 2007 Jeep less than a year ago it wouldn't start. I had it towed from the dealership (not under warranty). They said mice had chewed wires and plastic to the tune of $1100. Before I purchased this car it was garaged for a few years.

Could this damage have been from it being garaged before I bought it? Could it have been driven by me for 8 months with no infestation on my end? Or would it have to be recent? I want to challenge the dealer, but don't want to have this sound totally ridiculous on my part. Any advice?

By Karen

Your posted question is a little hard to figure out. Which of the following timelines is correct?

You bought a Jeep that had been garaged for a considerable length of time from a used car dealer.

The Jeep wouldn't start at the dealer so you had it towed from there to a garage where you were told there was $1100 worth of mousie nibble damage.

If the above is the correct timeline, did you sign an 'As Is' contract? If yes, you are out of luck-no court is going to give you damages based on that 'As Is' clause in your contract.

But if you didn't sign an 'As Is' contract, you probably DO have a case. Try talking to the dealer and politely point out that without satisfaction you will be taking the case to an attorney (or Small Claims, which is cheaper)

OR

You drove the Jeep for eight months without any problems but then suddenly (after eight months of carefree driving) the Jeep wouldn't start. The mechanic you took it to found $1100 worth of mousie nibble damage.

If that is the correct timeline, you have no case with the dealer because you were able to drive the Jeep without problems for eight months. Refer to the contract (or bill of sale) to re-read the terms of the warranty (if any)-if a warranty was part of the sale contract it surely has expired, most used car warranties on a vehicle that old expire after 90 days.

If you were offered and then opted to pay for an extended warranty of one year, you still probably are out of luck because the damage is from mice-not a fault of the dealer because mice are a condition of where you 'garage' the vehicle when not being driven.

What you do have is a mousie invasion going on where ever it is that you park the Jeep when not driving it-you need to sort that because those little 'darlings' will simply re-nest in your engine box and repeat the damage.

When mice move into the inner workings of a vehicle they waste no time chewing-within a day you are going to have a problem.

The damage they do is considerable and that damage shows up immediately. This is not something that 'develops over time', this is a 'they moved in on Saturday night and by Sunday morning I couldn't start the car' thing.

If you 'garage' the Jeep at your home, this is your problem, sorry about that.

However, if you are renting a garage or parking space, you may be able to recover damages from the landlord. Check your rental agreement.

(Unfortunately, most landlords have a clause relieving them of any damages caused by pests. Re-read the contract to be sure of the terms)

I would ask to see the old parts before I believed them about this. In fact, ask to see all old parts, when they are removed, and you can explain that you like to keep photographs or a record of all parts you have to have replaced.

June 24, 2009 Flag

My mom has a severe problem with field mice getting into the heating/air fan housing in her car. No one else has had a problem when they visit her, but she has had to have her car in the shop at least 10 times for this in the two years that she has owned the car. The car is a Chrysler Sebring. Does anyone have any ideas on what she could use to stop them from coming in? She has outside pets and is afraid to put out any poison.

By binkylou from Wingo, KY

They make small traps called mice cubes where the mouse can get in but cannot get out. The traps can be baited with peanut butter and will have to be cleaned out daily; I realize this is not a good long term fix but it may catch a few that the moth malls don't catch?

Mice POOF I had a 22" snake in mine

As others mentioned, I noticed some shredded paper and

what looked like mouse droppings in my car (along with a weird smell from the heat vents- argh!). So I've been using the d-Con mouse traps (purchased at a hardware store), which are round disks that you put bait underneath (ex:peanut butter), and then turn it over and turn the top clockwise- it creates a small opening in the side of the disk. When the mice go inside to get the treat, that causes the opening to close- so they're inside (dead) and you don't have to see them, you just throw the disk away. They're very easy to use & it's a plus that you don't have to look at or clean up the dead mouse from a trap. If you use poison, they might go somewhere in the car/garage/house to die, so I didn't want that. So far I've caught 4 in there, just by leaving two in my vehicle overnight (one on the dash and one on the floor). I hope they don't have a nest in there, but for sure they're coming into the car and are possibly in the heating vent area. We also have mice in our garage- had to get rid of birdseed, and store the dog food elsewhere, but they're still coming into the garage through various holes in the walls. I periodically let the cats out there to try to kill them- but tonight, one of the cats actually brought a still-alive mouse into the house with her- chaos ensued involving dogs/cats/me and I finally ushered it out back into the garage (I was trying to catch it, but it wasn't cooperating).

Read More Answers...

November 25, 2013 Flag

I have a cute little brown mouse living in my brand new CTS coupe. I have tried moth balls and a bar of Dove soap, but from what I am reading these strategies don't claim to work! Do you have some ideas to get rid of my mouse humanly?

By Barbara

I have heard that mice hate peppermint. You might want to try a box of the really strong mints (Altoids) - in a red and white tin. They are extra strong and maybe a handful of these sprinkled around in the car might do the trick. Good Luck!

Try Irish Spring soap bar the smell hurts their eyes so they leave. Dove is just not the way to go...

July 26, 2004 Flag

How do you keep mice out of your car when it sits for a while? We have a camp truck that sits for period of time. Mice seem to get into the car. Is there a way to keep them out? - cory

June 21, 2014 Flag

How do I keep mice out of the engine compartment of my car?

By Bob G.

Well, I am not sure how to do this, but one thing you DO NOT want to do is put mothballs in there. Mothballs are often given as a solution for keeping rodents out of places, but the stench from them is sickening, and very difficult to irradiate. Besides, they are poisonous to people as well as to all animals and the moths they are supposed to get rid of.

My remedy for getting rid of mice is always a cat, or several.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceMarch 24, 2013
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Nesting Supplies to Birds
Providing Nesting Supplies to Birds
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:04:56 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.