Mice Nesting in a Car

A warm engine compartment can be enticing to rodents looking for shelter. This guide is about mice nesting in a car.

July 4, 2011 Flag

Does any one have any idea to keep mice out of my car engine? They have been making a nest in my engine a couple of times. I don't want them making things dangerous for me and my car.

By Donna from Foymount, Ontario

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We had the same problem in our car and we tried everything. We installed a mouseblocker and it seems to be working great so far. We purchased it from www.mouseblocker.com a while back. Good luck.

Numerous studies have proven the ultrasonics do not work.

Rid-a-Rat.com has proven in their labs that their new technology works on almost all vermin using light technology which is patent pending.

The company ships all over and to Canada. Here in Arizona you can buy them in hardware stores and some garages and car dealers.

Kyle

Ultrasonic treatment devices (such as ultrasonic flea collars) claimed to rid homes of pests are completely ineffective. University of North Dakota.

Ultrasonic devices do not meet advertisers claims for their products. University of Maryland.

December 11, 2009 Flag

I need help. I have mice under the hood of my car nesting, chewing, and I'm so afraid after pulling all that junk out every night, cigarette butts, dog food, dried grass, just trash, that I will have a fire. My car is brand new and they have chewed wire and most of the insulation off of my hood. Can anyone help me please. I need a magic cure to stop these mice.

By Erica from AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a serious problem. I found a solution called MouseBlocker. Try googling it. I have had much success with it after mice destroyed my car.

We have all kinds of animals that get in our cars in Arizona. Our hardware stores sell a great new product that doesn't kill but just chases the animals away.It has saved me a lot of money this year.

My friend in Prescott got one when he saw a rabbit in his car and had to have it repaired 3 times in the same week. He opened the hood and saw the rabbit.

We are both very happy with our rid-a-rat. It is green and just some how chase the animals away. I don't want poison around it can kill hawks and other animals.

All of my neighbors use them.

Hey,what did you use?

June 5, 2013 Flag

I bought a 2007 Jeep less than a year ago it wouldn't start. I had it towed from the dealership (not under warranty). They said mice had chewed wires and plastic to the tune of $1100. Before I purchased this car it was garaged for a few years.

Could this damage have been from it being garaged before I bought it? Could it have been driven by me for 8 months with no infestation on my end? Or would it have to be recent? I want to challenge the dealer, but don't want to have this sound totally ridiculous on my part. Any advice?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your posted question is a little hard to figure out. Which of the following timelines is correct?

You bought a Jeep that had been garaged for a considerable length of time from a used car dealer.

The Jeep wouldn't start at the dealer so you had it towed from there to a garage where you were told there was $1100 worth of mousie nibble damage.

If the above is the correct timeline, did you sign an 'As Is' contract? If yes, you are out of luck-no court is going to give you damages based on that 'As Is' clause in your contract.

But if you didn't sign an 'As Is' contract, you probably DO have a case. Try talking to the dealer and politely point out that without satisfaction you will be taking the case to an attorney (or Small Claims, which is cheaper)

OR

You drove the Jeep for eight months without any problems but then suddenly (after eight months of carefree driving) the Jeep wouldn't start. The mechanic you took it to found $1100 worth of mousie nibble damage.

If that is the correct timeline, you have no case with the dealer because you were able to drive the Jeep without problems for eight months. Refer to the contract (or bill of sale) to re-read the terms of the warranty (if any)-if a warranty was part of the sale contract it surely has expired, most used car warranties on a vehicle that old expire after 90 days.

If you were offered and then opted to pay for an extended warranty of one year, you still probably are out of luck because the damage is from mice-not a fault of the dealer because mice are a condition of where you 'garage' the vehicle when not being driven.

What you do have is a mousie invasion going on where ever it is that you park the Jeep when not driving it-you need to sort that because those little 'darlings' will simply re-nest in your engine box and repeat the damage.

When mice move into the inner workings of a vehicle they waste no time chewing-within a day you are going to have a problem.

The damage they do is considerable and that damage shows up immediately. This is not something that 'develops over time', this is a 'they moved in on Saturday night and by Sunday morning I couldn't start the car' thing.

If you 'garage' the Jeep at your home, this is your problem, sorry about that.

However, if you are renting a garage or parking space, you may be able to recover damages from the landlord. Check your rental agreement.

(Unfortunately, most landlords have a clause relieving them of any damages caused by pests. Re-read the contract to be sure of the terms)

I would ask to see the old parts before I believed them about this. In fact, ask to see all old parts, when they are removed, and you can explain that you like to keep photographs or a record of all parts you have to have replaced.

June 24, 2009 Flag

My mom has a severe problem with field mice getting into the heating/air fan housing in her car. No one else has had a problem when they visit her, but she has had to have her car in the shop at least 10 times for this in the two years that she has owned the car. The car is a Chrysler Sebring. Does anyone have any ideas on what she could use to stop them from coming in? She has outside pets and is afraid to put out any poison.

By binkylou from Wingo, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We. also had two cars damaged from mice. We were told that Irish Spring soap would keep the critters away. We put some in the engine where the electrical wires are and so far no further problems. Is it the soap or have we just been lucky, I don't know. We never asked a mechanic, so use at your own risk.

They make small traps called mice cubes where the mouse can get in but cannot get out. The traps can be baited with peanut butter and will have to be cleaned out daily; I realize this is not a good long term fix but it may catch a few that the moth malls don't catch?

Mice POOF I had a 22" snake in mine

July 19, 2004 Flag

My car broke down beyond repair and I could not afford to by another one at the moment, fortunately my parents had a car sitting in their yard that was in seemingly good condition and was only there for about a year

When I Begin cleaning it out I discovered that there had been several families of mice living in it! Fortunately they all seemed to have deserted the car, however they left behind several little presents for me to clean!

I got the car repaired (the things the mice had chewed through and I also needed a strut). The mechanic told me that not only were they living in the car (and trunk) they had also built a nest in the blowers (for the AC and heat).

So I cleaned out the car I shampooed the interior and vacuumed and sprayed almost a whole bottle of fabreeze all though out the car and the smell is still there! (although it is not as strong)

I personally hate mice and their smell makes me sick but I can't afford to buy another car for a little while so I don't know what to do. I would like to get every little bit of smell out of the car not only because it makes me sick but also it's really embarrassing (I could not imagine taking out a date or going somewhere with my friends and them having to smell mouse!)

So please, any tips or ideas would help. Everyday I drive to work in this thing and it makes me nauseous.

Matt

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I was told my a car dealer that an ozone machine will work.

Before mice move into your car they move onto your engine(especially in winter).They like the heat the engine gives off long after you shut it off. I find chewed acorns and seeds on my engine all the time. Most of us park are cars in the same spot every day, night.That makes it easy for them to return and slowly move in. I'm currently trying to get the urine smell out of a 2006 car that sat in a garage for 15 months after its owner passed away. The car is immaculate w/12,000 miles, except for that smell. I'm beginning to think the car is permanently ruined.

Hi there We used a product called deodorant worked great, google it, hope it helps you. C

November 25, 2013 Flag

I have a cute little brown mouse living in my brand new CTS coupe. I have tried moth balls and a bar of Dove soap, but from what I am reading these strategies don't claim to work! Do you have some ideas to get rid of my mouse humanly?

By Barbara

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have heard that mice hate peppermint. You might want to try a box of the really strong mints (Altoids) - in a red and white tin. They are extra strong and maybe a handful of these sprinkled around in the car might do the trick. Good Luck!

Try Irish Spring soap bar the smell hurts their eyes so they leave. Dove is just not the way to go...

July 26, 2004 Flag

How do you keep mice out of your car when it sits for a while? We have a camp truck that sits for period of time. Mice seem to get into the car. Is there a way to keep them out?
- cory

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Moth balls and Downey sheets don't work for my car, where do I get peppermint oil???

Iv'e use peppermint oil for many years in our camp, cars and home it works great and doesn't leave a terrible smell that mothballs do. It can be purchased at any health food store. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and place around areas where mice signs are visible; but you do have to refreshen the cotton ball every so often. Another idea is yo put the soaked cotton balls in a small container with holes poked on the lid.

(sent in by email)

Heard that peppermint oil for keeping mice out of vehicles, but will peppermint extract work?

greg

June 21, 2014 Flag

How do I keep mice out of the engine compartment of my car?

By Bob G.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well, I am not sure how to do this, but one thing you DO NOT want to do is put mothballs in there. Mothballs are often given as a solution for keeping rodents out of places, but the stench from them is sickening, and very difficult to irradiate. Besides, they are poisonous to people as well as to all animals and the moths they are supposed to get rid of.

My remedy for getting rid of mice is always a cat, or several.

December 18, 2013 Flag

Can the smell from the mouse urine hurt you it in the vents of a car?

By Cindy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Probably no more than the smell of baby urine in the carpeting. If you are sure it's mice, get them out before they eat vital wiring.

October 12, 2006 Flag

I have mice in my brand new car! I first noticed them in my glove box, they ate ketchup packets, so I took everything out of there. I also put peppermint oil on a cotton ball. They still go in my car. NOW they are all over, on the seats, on the dash, steering wheel. It is like they have set up camp, yet I have never seen them, just the droppings!

We park the car in the garage (which is infested with mice this time of year) and I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. My car is starting to smell! I use urine spray that I got for my dog who pees on the floor, it works well, but every morning they leave more. I set traps and they are constantly full. Is there a hole I can plug up or something! AHHHH!

Jen from ILLINOIS

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I had mice in my car that originally got in there because of the sunflower seeds in the glove box. The only way I was able to get rid of them was to set mouse poison all around the garage. It worked, they ate that instead of breaking into the car.

Can you borrow a cat or two from someone? I have several cats and have never had a vermin problem although neighbours have.

That is funny I live in Illinois too, also have the same problem. Last year I parked my car in our garage and started noticing chewed up papers, phone books, stuffing from under my back seat. We set traps and caught them. We took out the backseat to find underneath they had a nest, so we put out rat poison in the trunk and under the seat. Well this year same problem I don't know how to get rid of them little rodents. We stopped parking our car in the garage. Have you found a cure yet?

October 26, 2010 Flag

I had mice nesting in the car, now the heat won't work, but the blower is. I am also hearing a loud click from under dash when turning the temp from hot to cold. The AC works fine. It is a 1998 Ford Taurus.

By Scott from Columbus, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It would appear to me that the mice nested in the ducting either between the air intake and the heater core or between the heater core and the ducts under the hood. Check this hose under the hood for holes first. In either event first disconnect the intake air hose where it connects to the heater core and clear any debris. This is most likely the location of the blockage.

Determine how the mice got in and determine how to prevent the entry in the future. I do not advise blocking the hose but some hardware cloth (mesh wire with 1/4 or so openings) from a hard ware store of feed and seed. Most feed and seed stores sell buy the foot.

. I have had this happen to my truck.

December 11, 2009 Flag

I just found out that there are mice nesting in my car, inside the seat. Other than mothballs, are there any other suggestions for ridding my car of this problem? The repair shop is cleaning out the nest, but they warned me that mice tend to return to rebuild their nests. Any ideas for preventing their return?

Lisa from WI

Answers:

Mice Nesting In My Car

Lisa, the mice being in the car isn't the problem, it's where you are parking it. If it's in a garage, you need to treat the garage. If its outside, look for a nearby wood pile or brush. I also live in WI. I do not kill outdoor mice, but move or dismantle their nests and remove anything they can use for nesting material. Mice provide a necessary part of the chain of life we depend on. Don't worry, they won't come running back like little lost sheep. Poisons provided to kill them will also kill toads, frogs, and other little critters you need outdoors to help control insect populations. (05/26/2005)

By C.J.cox

Mice Nesting In My Car

I have heard that keeping a Bounce sheet in the car will help prevent mice from coming in. Not sure if this works, but worth a try.

Good luck. (05/26/2005)

By Darlene in Mississauga

Mice Nesting In My Car

Mice don't like peppermint. If you could get some peppermint oil and put it in your car on a cotton balls it will drive them away. (05/26/2005)

By croslay26

Mice Nesting In My Car

I have heard that putting crumpled up aluminum foil in a mouse hole keeps them in their place so maybe you could try putting several pieces of crumpled up foil in the area where they nested. (05/26/2005)

By knitter in IL

Mice Nesting In My Car

Had the same problem except in the heater hoses and cost me $75 to have Canadian Tire find the problem and get my heat back. The hairdresser suggested putting clean human hair (no chemicals on it) under the seat and under the dash. I am mouse free and nice and warm now for 2 years. Find you nearest barber and grab some clean hair from the next cut. (07/31/2005)

By P_Licious

Mice Nesting In My Car

Re the peppermint thing. Try Altoids, the peppermint ones are the only one I've tried, but they work. Altoids are the only brand that contain real peppermint oil in them. (09/05/2005)

By Anah

Mice Nesting In My Car

I also have mice in my car. This is the second time. They have eaten all the wires causing my transmission to go out and the gas gauge not to work and the traction control not to work. It is costing me a fortune. After the first time it took me a long time to be able to drive my car without freaking out. I put peppermint oil and Bounce inside the car and I bought some fox urine to sprinkle outside. That worked. Then I sort of quit doing it because I thought the problem was solved, not, they are back. It is disgusting. But I do know that fox urine works. (01/02/2007)

Mice Nesting In My Car

You can also mix peppermint oil with alcohol and spray in cars, on carpet, on engines even though the cotton ball would probably last longer in the engine because of the heat. Also can be used indoors in cabinets and basements, garages, etc. (04/15/2007)

By Tumpy

Mice Nesting In My Car

Mothballs are very toxic to human beings I would not recommend using them in a enclosed area like a car, not even in the engine. (04/15/2007)

By Tumpy

Mice Nesting In My Car

Just a note for the people with mice in their cars. If you park your car in the garage and store dog food in the garage also, the dog food attracts the mice. Once they are in the garage, the nice warm engine does the rest. Food and a warm place to sleep. Isn't that what we all want. Get rid of the dog food or put it in an air tight container and remove all spills. (06/05/2007)

By Karl

Mice Nesting In My Car

Just trapped a mouse in my new Toyota Matrix using an old fashioned spring trap (with extra old cheddar). Other approaches did not work. She was cleaning out tissue in the car and building a nest in the airbox. Turning on the AC each morning would create a wedding effect.

I don't know how it entered, but I am now parking the car away from a wood pile where I suspect there is a large colony. I would have preferred a more humane method, but I am worried about the airborne disease possibility.
(07/18/2007)

By Richard in Coldwater

Mice Nesting In My Car

I tried peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and the mice just play with them. I have 2 mice (I think) that are too smart to be caught. They run "around" traps of any kind and they boldly "play" in the kitchen. These are baby field mice, not rats or anything, just smart mice.

Back to peppermint, they seem to actually either like it, or they're attacking the cotton ball. It doesn't deter a thing, matter of fact, it gives them something to play with. The only thing that has worked for me is trapping. I keep the house very clean and when they get super hungry I lure them across the counter with peanut butter cookie crumbs to fall off the edge into an empty trash pail. I have caught 2 this way and another with a chocolate donut.

Sticky traps are okay. You can help them get off them with baby oil once you have caught them. Just remember to let them go in a place they can find food or they will find their way home. Also, mice follow the scent of their droppings. If you can do your best to remove droppings regularly, they get lost. (10/20/2007)

By O

Mice Nesting In My Car

I have heard of panty hose with cedar chips in them. (11/18/2008)

Mice Nesting In My Car

I am really thankful for this website, because I thought I was the only one having this problem. Last Tuesday I brought my car into the garage for its annual oil change, etc. and they found 1/4 of my air filter had been gouged out and there were 2 field mice and a messy nest on the top of my engine. Well my engine light came on so back into the garage today and in one week's time 3 field mice had gouged out the lining of my hood and made another large ghastly looking nest. Once again the engine area had to be cleaned.

I have seen the D-Con packets and I am going to try them and I will let all of you know how this works. (12/17/2008)

By Dottie

Mice Nesting In My Car

Check out this link. It seems that Joan also finds it useful, so maybe you will too? It's a pain, but I would say worth it. hastingsreserve.org

Post By Joan (Guest Post) (10/14/2008)

Mice Nesting In My Car

There is a product designed for this problem. It is called Fresh Cab and is used to keep mice and rats out of farm equipment cabs, closets, basements, cabinets, etc. I use it in my motor home and it works very well. Do an internet search to find it. It gives off an odor that smells like a Christmas tree, and rodents will leave any area where it is used. (10/27/2009)

By therob1

Mice Nesting In My Car

I've been dealing with these rodents for years now. They are a pain. I disagree with the post by c.j cox. There is no being nice when it comes to these things. I live in the country and have to deal with them as soon as it becomes cold out. The only way I have found to get rid of them is to set out traps. Get two pieces of cardboard that you can reuse throughout the winter. Cut them big enough to fit on your floor. Put two in a couple nights a week or more if you see droppings.

You do not want to poison them. They will go back to their nests and die in some remote spot in your car. Be proactive. Don't be lazy and wait until it's months into winter. They will come back every single year. My next idea is the mice alarms they have. The sound that drives them away. I haven't found one built for a car yet. That's probably going to be the best invention yet. I thought about buying a house one and plugging it in and shutting the door on the cord. I might try that. If it works I will post again. However, using old school traps I have been able to keep my cars smelling normal and to prevent any big nests from being formed. (12/09/2009)

By Grant42

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control MiceMarch 24, 2013
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Nesting Supplies to Birds
Providing Nesting Supplies to Birds
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:10:13 AM on 10.0.2.188 in 14 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.