Whitey and Lucky (Rhode Island Red Mix Chickens)

Whitey and Lucky are 3 days old in this picture. They are Rhode Island Red Mix. Imagine the surprise of going to feed the chickens on January 2, 2010 when my grandson yells "babies." These baby chicks were hatched out on January 1st and they have become my grandson's pets. He held them when they were small and, now that they are older, they play tag together.

The chicks just love to chase my grandson around the yard and they love being chased back. What a wonderful New Year's gift to have. When the mother began sitting on eggs, we thought they were duds since it was so bitterly cold out. She kept them warm and hatched them out and took care of them through the winter storms.

We named them Lucky and Whitey because they are lucky to be alive and Whitey is just that, completely white. My grandson has a ball with them when he comes here.

By Gem from VA

Hi Gem,

How wonderful for your grandson. My very first chicken (about 68 years ago) was a Rhode Island Red hen. She was so smart and her best friends were a big black rabbit, a foxy-looking red dog and a big white tomcat and me, of course. Many afternoons we 5 spent under our big chinaberry tree eating Mother's leftover biscuits with sharp cheddar

cheese. They would sit with me while I read my Alice and Jerry books. I have so many sweet memories. Chickens are such smart creatures and it's a shame that more people don't realize it. I was a very lucky child.

Thanks for sharing the nice story with us. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

How sweet and fun for all of you :-) Thumbs up :-)

What a great story! I've never heard of anyone having a chicken for a pet - being from the city (but now living the rural life!) But why not? Also love the story from Julia in Boca Raton, FL. I can almost picture the 5 friends sitting under that tree eating those biscuits - how very lucky to have such great memories!

Lovely story, Gem. Thank you for sharing.

Rhode Island Red Chicken
Rhode Island Red Chicken Breed Information and Photos
Pets Birds ChickensApril 12, 2010
Girl in a red coat giving to the Salvation Army.
Rhode Island Christmas Charities
Baby Chick
Chick Photos
Prince Edward Island
Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island Frugal Travel Guide
Growing Lucky Bamboo
Growing "Lucky Bamboo"