AppliancesCleaning

How Do You Clean a Breadmaker?

The canister and paddle I can throw in the dishwasher, but what about the rest of the machine? I have burnt bread and crumbs and mess stuck to the bottom directly under the heating element, how do you clean this thing? Thanks!

Robin from Marietta,GA

I use a damp sponge and a little elbow grease. ;-) The trick is to clean it often. I'm interested to see if anyone else has a better answer myself! Be sure to unplug it before you clean it.

I love my breadmaker & use it a couple of times a week! My family LOVES sandwiches, breakfast toast, & sweet breads made from fresh bread. But I never load the ingredients in the bread pan while it is already inside of the breadmaker. This way, there is less chance for spills that need to be cleaned up inside the breadmaker & around the heating element.

And 1 thing I learned a very long time ago is that after the bread has finished baking & you have removed the breadpan from the breadmaker, immediately close the lid & make sure to unplug the device. Closing the lid will keep any moisture in the breadmaker, will soften the burnt on flour powder & after it has cooled down enough, then I simply wipe out the inside & outside of the breadmaker with a soapy cloth, rinse out the cloth & wipe again to rinse, & then dry it with another towel or paper towels. Also--the breadpan--don't put it in the dishwasher as this will remove lubricants from the turning mechanism that are pertinent to the operation of turning the paddle inside of the breadpan. Allow your freshly baked bread to sit in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it. Once the bread is out, put the breadpan on the countertop & run hot water with a couple drops of liquid hand-dishsoap. Allow to soak for a few minutes & wash the insides & the paddle. I use a baby bottle brush to clean the area where the paddles connect. Wash down the outside with hot, soapy water but avoid getting the turning mechanism on the bottom of the breadpan wet as this will break down your lubricants.

The inside of the breadpan can be rinsed with running water--again try to avoid getting that little mechanism wet--& the outside can be rinsed by wiping down with a clean, rinsed cloth. Sometimes my bread paddle gets stuck on the turning spindle. When this happens, I have a large plastic crochet hook that I use to pull it up with when finger-pulling-out won't work. I know all of this sounds like a lot of work but actually only takes minutes. It also keeps you from using so much elbow grease to clean up your breadmaker.

First, I use my vacuum cleaner wand to get out what I can, then spray some Lysol Basin, Tub, Tile cleaner, always have used this for many things. Let it sit and loosen, wipe out with dishrag. Then a dry paper towel. Easy.

For Juanita S. The crochet hook, that is one of their accessories from their order line to get the little paddle out. For their fee, just buy one locally. Also, if it won't come out, just do a back turn on it, needs to get to a point to release. I have ordered and replaced my paddles, as the little gear notches inside wear out. Replaceable.