Intruder in Finch Bird Nest

It appears to be an egg from a crow that is in with the finch eggs. What is the best way to remove the crow egg without disturbing the others?

By Cindy

If you don't have a small condiment spoon then try using a plastic spoon or a plastic fork and break off a couple prongs before scooping it from the nest.

Lorelei makes sense. CUkoo (coocoo) (cucu) Spelling unknown after many years, anyway the cc bird does this. I would look for someone with an incubator to see what you have. Call wildlife rescue for a rehaber.

I wonder if that is a cowbird egg? Is it kind of blue with brown specks? They lay an egg in a different bird's nest. When the egg hatches, the foster parents will feed it. It's just the way they procreate. It doesn't harm the finches but their diet probably won't be the same as the cowbird's so the hatchling might end up dying. I have read that if the egg is removed, the cowbird could get angry and destroy the nest. I'd just let it be and watch to see what happens if it is a cowbird egg.

I've seen Cowbird eggs in other bird's nests. I simply reach in and take the egg out and destroy it. Nothing to it. The Cowbird egg at my house ended up in a small Purple Finch's nest. I was told that the cowbird that hatched would be much larger than the finch babies and it would eat everything that the mother or father brought back to the nest and the finch babies would starve.

I would rather have the beautiful finches than the flocks of cowbirds that ruin everything. I also destroy the nests of Starlings. The poor Bluebirds must compete with them for nesting space in dead trees. If the Starlings want the nest space, they get it. They are bigger and mean. I saw several Starlings take over a nest that a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers had worked on for days. The Starlings even won over a pair of huge birds.

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesMay 11, 2011
Bird Seed
Covering a Bird House With Bird Seed
Bumble Bee on a flower.
Getting Rid of Underground Bumble Bee Nest
Removing a Yellow Jackets Nest
Removing a Yellow Jacket Nest
My Finch Laid Eggs
My Finch Laid Eggs