Treating a Dog's Ear Infection Without Antibiotics

How much Vagisil do you use for severe infections in the ear?

By Samnatha from Corning, CA

Please take your dog to a vet. In the U.S there is no such thing as an over-the-counter anti-biotic. I understand you want to save money, but your dog needs your advocacy to find the best cure for his "severe infections". Please help him, ASAP. -Cindy-

Samnatha, I had never heard of using Vagisil in a dog's ear before. I did a Google search -- typed in "vagisil for ear infection." This was the first thing that came up. You might want to read the question and responses:

I'm with KansasCindy. I think you should take your dog to the vet. I hope your dog is feeling better soon.

I am not sure Vagisil will do anything for the infection but stop the itching. But Monastat will, if the dog has a fungal infection. You can get the drug store brand, and it will work just as well. It won't take very much of it, so 1 tube will do a while. Colloidal Silver will also kill the fungus, or any bacteria in the dog's ears if used regularly, will keep the infection down.

Use colloidal silver. Look it up at There are several posts on there I made myself.

Please take you pet to the Veterinarian for an exam. Your Vet will prescribe the proper medication for your pet. An ear infection is very painful. Ear infections are treated with an antibiotic and there is not an over the counter or home remedy that will work for this problem. Good luck

Ha ha, take my dog to the vet. She has seen 3 different vets and as soon as she stops the antibiotics. She is good for about a week then it all starts over again. The constant scratching, whimpering my poor dog can't completely get over this ear infection. Not to mention the $ money I have had to pay.

All for us to be back at square one. And to sit up at night crying because I have to see her in pain all over again. Can't afford anymore vet bills. We have 4 children and only 1 income. God help us we might have to take drastic measures this has been going on far to long. So broken hearted.

My dog has a severe ear infection. It smells horrible. What can I do? Some people say peroxide, vinegar, alcohol or olive oil. Help please.

January 25, 2014 Flag

I've had enough too, been to the vet 3 times at a cost of $180.00 each time and she is no better. I'm done with the vet thing. The last time the vet told me if it got no better we needed to just take the ear off. OMG are you kidding me?

She is a 15 year old Jack Russell. It's only in 1 ear, it's swollen with puss and it itches so badly. We have been through rounds of antibiotics and ear ointments. Somebody's got to help me. I don't know where to take her; I've been to 2 different vets.

By Tammy

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a beagle who has had ear problems for about 2 years. I have spent a fortune on him, and he has been miserable. Finally the last new vet I saw suggested it could be a food allergy. I started him on Nutro diet about 2 weeks ago and I think it is the solution. He is better. I mixed the Nutro with his regular food and have slowly increased the amount of Nutro (available at Petco and I imagine other places).

Also, I had some luck with spraying hydrogen peroxide into his ear. He doesn't like medicine being put into his ear - it is a struggle. I hope this helps (often it is the corn dogs are allergic to).

My dog has also had chronic ear problems, which went unresolved through my vet. I found a product that has worked miracles. It's called Zymox Otic HC 1.0% Enzymatic solution. You can read about the product at the manufacturer's website: I purchased mine at and have been using the product with success for years. There are two versions of this product, one with hydrocortisone and one without. I have only used the version with the hydrocortisone (named above) which helps greatly with any itching. Also, you must follow the directions on the bottle EXACTLY for success. The directions are a bit out of the ordinary in that you do not clean the dog's ear prior to using the product which contains some natural enzymes along with the hydrocortisone. Hope this helps!

Tori in PA

Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 19, 2011
Treating Ear Mites
Treating Ear Mites
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
oinment bottle
Treating a Staph Infection (Cellulitis)
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears