Tie Plastic Refuse in Knots

You can help save wild birds and animals: When unwrapping bread, groceries etc., I roll up the plastic wrapping or bags that I can't reuse and then tie them in knots before binning them. This prevents animals and birds getting their heads stuck in them or, just as bad, getting them stuck in their throats while trying to eat any food still adhering to them.

I dry out the bag and roll it up [jelllyroll style] as tightly as I can, then stuff it in a large plastic bottle for the rubbish collection. This way, no animals can get at them, they are contained, so can't blow away if windy, and the wonderful rubbish collection people don't get whatever was in the bags on them.

You can also use those plastic bags to make leashes, etc. There's a great explanation of how to do this on youtube. Also, you can make "plarn, or plastic yarn, from these bags and crochet with them. They make wonderful rugs or shopping bags, etc.

Kudos to you for thinking of the animals that these bags harm.

We can recycle them here at the groceries. I stuff many bags into one bag and then tie it off.

A problem also exists with those nasty "six-pack" plastic things that keep six-packs of soda or other bottles or cans together (sometimes in fours or eights). I always cut them so that there are no circles of any kind left to ensnare wildlife of any size.

Our council recycle plastic bottles, but can't take any other kind of plastic, not even yogurt cartons which is a pity:-((

Thanks for this tip. Most of California recycles store type plastic bags, but this is great for bread wrappers and other bags that store food.

Liz Kent, Salinas, CA

Thanks for the hint! I do something similar when I store plastic shopping bags for later use. I fold them lengthwise a few times, fold in half, and then make a slip knot. So they're folded and knotted, but when I need one I just pull on one of the loose ends and it opens.

And, like BeanTownSteve, I make sure to snip those plastic rings that hold together six-packs. Thankfully we don't have to deal with them as often as we used to.

That's what I do also, if I can't actually reuse the bag. Another tip is to cut in half any of those plastic security loops that detach from plastic lids on bottles etc. We have had to rescue birds that get their heads and legs stuck in them.Eventually these poor creatures die of thirst and starvation because they cannot feed or fly etc. Cheers Vicki

Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 12, 2009
sharpie tie dyed tshirt
Making a Sharpie Tie Dyed T-Shirt
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
fleece tie blanket
Making Fleece Tie Blankets
tie dye leaf pattern note card
Making Tie-Dye Note Cards
🎄
🍂