Choosing Between Cable and Satellite Bundled Services

I am considering Charter's cable bundle for phone, TV, and internet, or Direct TV's same 3 bundle with Qwest. I am wondering about the difference in reception. I am located on the coast with winds and rain. Any input would be appreciated.

By g'ma dee dee from Cannon Beach, OR

I live on the coast also and just changed from the direct tv internet (wild blue) to the phone company internet. Well honey the Wild Blue is awful! if a cloud passed over the house I lost internet even when the satellite was working, not to mention the rain and bad weather we get. (it is 2 different dishes you will have)! we don't get cable where I am but we're so much happier now with Centurylink! good luck!

My parents live out in the country and have satellite for their TV. It doesn't take much in the way of bad weather for their reception to go down. We have our phone, TV, and internet all bundled through our cable company. Something *big* has to happen for our service to be interrupted. I don't know if experiences will be similar for everyone, but that's what I've observed.

Don't know exactly what Charter is, but we live in South Florida ( think tropical rain May through November and hurricane season nearly that long).

We had Direct TV for a few years and nearly every time a storm rolled in, we lost reception. Don't know if you have it in your area, but we eventually went with AT&T Uverse for TV, internet and phone and are completely satisfied with the consistency of it, better customer service and the bundle actually saved us about $30 a month.

January 17, 2012 Flag

Which has a lower cost, cable or Dish TV?

By r

I have had both and it is true at times you can't get reception when there is a rainstorm. However, the cable in my area got so high priced that I had to drop it. We have Dish TV and Direct TV here. I chose Dish but I think it is a tossup which to choose.

We went from cable to Dish satellite. It was the worst idea ever for this household! We had it for 6 weeks and it was down more than it was up! I finally called them after putting up with the crap and told them to come get their stuff. We went back to cable and haven't been disappointed at all...we now have fiber optic cable! Direct TV is good but Dish stinks....big time!

None of them are cheap and I feel like sometimes I'm getting ripped off. I have cable; only one cable company in town. Other than satellite there is ATT which is not any cheaper. Afraid to go with a satellite because of high winds in west Texas.

Every month my cable bills go up a dollar here and a dollar there thinking you won't notice or don't care. I call and complain and they give me a small break. The next month it's back. My Brother has Direct TV and it's high too. If I lived alone I'd cancel in a minute.

Someone said call and get their prices. That's even hard to do. They quote you one thing and when you get your bill it's something different. They work on commission; get you there and sometimes you're stuck. Hate them all. I go through the comparisons every time this year and still can't determine which is cheaper. Like trying to compare one brand of toilet paper to another. LOL

Satellite Services
Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 3, 2010
Coaxial Cable TV
Getting Rid of Cable TV
Saving Money on an HD Antenna
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
Comcast Xfinity Truck
Comcast Xfinity Triple Play Reviews