Craft Project: Crochet Coat Hangers

I went to Walmart the other day and they had Halloween shirts on clearance sale. I bought a couple thinking that it would great to have a couple of long sleeved shirts next Halloween. Anyway the cashier asked me if I would like the hangers. I thought a minute and then asked "Don't you guys reuse these?" She replied that most of the time they just get thrown away. So I said sure I would take the hangers.

On the way home I thought about how I could cover them to make them nice enough to be used as Christmas presents for my girlfriends. On a tight budget like everyone else this year I still want to be able to give something to my closest friends. I knew I had some yarn that was like a denim and other colors I could use from other projects and except for my time these gifts would practically be free. So I sat down with my hook and some yarn and designed these easy covers for free.

They really are quick and easy so you can make lots of them and you will be helping to keep the earth green, as with all plastics it takes a long time for these to break down in the landfill. Crochet a couple of extra and take them to your local nursing home, these are perfect for hanging nightgowns on because they help to keep the gown on the hanger. These could be made for men also, just use more earth tones. I added a bow to the top and a small easy sack made from wired ribbon so that the ladies could add their favorite perfume or essential oil.

Time to Complete: 30 minutes crochet time

Materials

• free hangers from Walmart
  • small amount of leftover yarn (I use Red Heart Super Saver Yarn for most projects and I always have some left over)
  • size I crochet hook

Directions:

1. The top of the hanger right below the hook is where you will be starting, in case you want to measure.
  2. Chain 21
  3. Row 1 In second chain from hook DC all the way across. Chain 2, turn.
  4. Row 2 In second chain from hook, DC all the way across. Chain 2, turn.
  5. Row 3: In second chain from hook 2 Dc and then Dc until the last stitch, 2 dc in last stitch.
  6. Now 22 chain stitch. In the second chain from hook Dc all the way across including the body. Finish off.
  7. Row 4 in the side of the next to the last row attach yarn and chain 22. Turn and DC all the way across. Finish off.
  8. Slip stitch both hanger pieces together over the hanger I found that it was easiest to slip stitch from the center bottom up around the first leg to the hanger and then slide the hanger in. Then I finished off and worked in the ends.
  9. Then I did the other side of the hanger starting at the top and slip stitched around with the hanger in the middle. Then I finished off and worked in my ends.
  10. Ad

11. I decorated with a bow and took a little piece of wired ribbon and folded it in half and put in two cotton balls then I twisted the top and attached to the hanger.

By Debra from Colorado

Blue crocheted clothes hanger.
Crochet Coat Hangers
Crafts Crochet PatternsDecember 18, 2009
Sweater Covered Hanger
Making Covered Hangers
mini hangers
DIY Paper Clip Barbie Clothes Hangers
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Wire Coat Hanger on White Background
Uses for Wire Hangers
🎉
🎄