Diamondback Rattlesnake in the House

I live in Texas in a canyon area and a diamond back rattle snake entered the kitchen. Is this unusual that this type of snake would enter a home?

By Georgia one from TX

I suppose not when I lived in Tallahassee, Fl I got up one morning and there was one in my hallway. Then about a year later I went to put towels on my linen shelf in bathroom and there was one curled up on my towels. And I'm deathly afraid of snakes!

I haven't had the experience with the rattler(Tank God!),but I have had a water moccasin stretch out alongside a top mattress which had slipped over on the box spring an inch or two. I was just about to grab hold of the mattress to slide it back in place before I made the bed, when I saw the snake lying on the edge of the box spring. I also had one crawl onto a white sheet I was using to sunbathe in the back yard.

Remember, snakes are cold-blooded. If it is scorching hot outside, they will seek shade, and if it is cold, they will seek warmth, since they can't regulate their own body temperature. Plus, they will feed wherever prey presents itself. Do you have birds in your house, or hamsters, gerbils, or even small kittens or puppies? Maybe a mouse? I had a huge rattler once on my back steps. Only after we killed it did I realize where the baby kittens had been disappearing to on a daily basis. Terribly sad, but true.

I can't believe I'm reading this blog! I would never live in an area where there are such deadly snakes. If I were on vacation some place and these snakes happened by I would be out of there so fast, and I hope the Good Lord is watching out for you and yours.

Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesAugust 12, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Copperhead snake against a white background
Keeping Copperhead Snakes Out of Your Yard
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House