AdviceGardening

How Do I Find Free Plants in My Area?

I am looking for free hostas in the Navarre, Ohio area.

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Jackie from Navarre, OH

I love Hostas and they're so easy to grow. I got mine from a friend that was separating his."Free"plants are the best. It took me awhile but if I see something in someones yard I will stop and ask if I could take a cutting. Most are more than happy to share. I take it as a huge compliment. If you lived closer I'd be happy to give you some of mine.:-)

Join the on line Freecycle.org in your area, many offer plants that are being thinned out. You can also make a request for Hosta plants. Good luck.

I am looking for a way to get free plants (give aways) in my area. Possibly from people who want to thin out an area of plant beds.

By Jackie from Navarre, OH

Answers:

How Do I Find Free Plants in My Area?

Ask your friends and neighbors! (05/11/2010)

By MCW

How Do I Find Free Plants in My Area?

If you're at all friendly with your neighbors you can just stop by and ask for starts. I do! Most plants need some thinning this time of year and people are more than willing to give them away rather than composting them. Even if you don't know the neighbors this is a good way to meet. People love to know somebody is noticing their gardens. (05/11/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

How Do I Find Free Plants in My Area?

Try craigslist.com. I've had good luck with lots of flowers. Just look for pictures first to make sure it's what you want and is a decent size. (05/12/2010)

By Allison5

How Do I Find Free Plants in My Area?

I would like to suggest that you check out freecycle.org. Just google freecycle.org and follow the prompts. Every state has free cycle sites. Put in your area code and you will find one or more that may be close to you. On this site you can post that your are looking for free plants. My whole herb garden along with plants and seeds came from freecycle members. Remember you can add any thing that you want to give away free to the site.

Jeannette in FL (05/18/2010)

By Jeannette1940/a>