Cleaning an Enamel Stovetop With Cast Iron Grids and Stainless Griddle

I have a stainless steel, gas range with cast iron girds and black enamel around the grid area and a stainless griddle. What can I use to keep the grid black and clean and what can I use on the black enamel without scratching it? The griddle gets a yellowish sticky film at times and I would like to know what you recommend to clean that, also.

By Dianne from San Antonio, TX

Answers

My stove is white enamel rather than black, but I have never used anything but baking soda to clean the top of this stove, and the same for the oven. I have never used oven cleaner. Just sprinkle the baking soda on the surfaces and use a sponge to scrub the area. For the cast iron grids, I remove them from the stove, and place them in a garbage bag in my sink or bathtub, pour in a cup or so of ammonia, tie the bag shut and leave for several hours or overnight.

Take them out and wash them with hot soapy water, using a green scrubbee pad for any stubborn spots. You can do the same thing with the oven racks. My stove is now 10 years old, and the enamel is starting to chip off the grids from age, but they have absolutely no buildup of grease on them. And my oven looks like I never bake in it. The stove top is looking a little scratched from use, but also no greasy buildup there either.

Harlean from Arkansas

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMarch 29, 2010
Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cleaning a Cast Iron Wood Stove
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Gas Stove Grates
Cleaning Stove Grates
Cast Iron Pan
Cleaning a Cast Iron Pan
🎄
🍂