Dog Won't Eat His Food Only the Cat's Food

Can my Shih Tuz eat homemade food? I have a problem with my puppy not eating his food. He will wait until we are not looking and then go and eat the cat food all the time. Can you please help me with what kind of food to feed him?

By Mary from Pittsburgh, PA

You can make home made food for your dog. Google homemade dog food to see if this is something you want to do. Is there somewhere you could put the cat's food so the dog cannot reach it? When my toy poodle was doing this, I put the cat food dispenser in the bath tub. My two cats could access it, but Pookie could not. It only took the cats about a day to figure out the change. Moving the food and rinsing the tub before a shower was easy.

Start mixing in some cat food into the dog's dish with his dog food, see if that changes things. Maybe the dog is telling you something else, and that is that he prefers the cat meal to his own.

Dog Won't Eat
Dog Won't Eat
Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 25, 2011
white cat on piano
Understanding Cat Behavior
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Dog stairs at dog food bowl while woman sits beside him with her hands raised while shrugging her shoulders
Dog Will Only Eat People Food