Steve's Green Chile Stew
First of all this recipe does not have to be followed to the letter but should be done to taste, just don't screw it up.
- 1 nice size pork chop or 2 chicken breasts/ thighs with bone cut into small "stew meat" pieces. Many meat markets will do this for you, mine does. Turkey is also a nice option.
- 1/2 27 oz. can green chiles (HATCH if available)
- 1/2 of 28 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce (you may use the rest as it cooks) I prefer Hatch or Macayo brands. If you wish, you may use your homemade green sauce.
- Jalapenos are optional (I don't used them any more due to stomach issues.) :-(
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 can no salt green beans
- 1/2 can no salt sweet or sweet creamed corn
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 medium potatoes (I prefer Reds or Colorado Gold) diced, not too small
- SPICES to taste but should have red chile powder, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, cayenne pepper, other spices to taste. Just don't overwhelm it.
Dump this all in a 2 1/2 quart crock pot (removable crock is best) and cook for 4-6 hours. The meat should be nice and white and melt like butter.
Source: This comes under the heading of "There are as many ways to cook something as there are cooks." It's mine based on variations of friends and places I have eaten. Sometimes I don't even cook it the same way twice. For instance, this last time I put in egg noodles and left out the chile powder. It's still yummy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In These Guides