Steve's Green Chile Stew
First of all this recipe does not have to be followed to the letter but should be done to taste, just don't screw it up.
- 1 nice size pork chop or 2 chicken breasts/ thighs with bone cut into small "stew meat" pieces. Many meat markets will do this for you, mine does. Turkey is also a nice option.
- 1/2 27 oz. can green chiles (HATCH if available)
- 1/2 of 28 oz. can green chile enchilada sauce (you may use the rest as it cooks) I prefer Hatch or Macayo brands. If you wish, you may use your homemade green sauce.
- Jalapenos are optional (I don't used them any more due to stomach issues.) :-(
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 can no salt green beans
- 1/2 can no salt sweet or sweet creamed corn
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large diced tomatoes
- 1 or 2 medium potatoes (I prefer Reds or Colorado Gold) diced, not too small
- SPICES to taste but should have red chile powder, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, cayenne pepper, other spices to taste. Just don't overwhelm it.
Dump this all in a 2 1/2 quart crock pot (removable crock is best) and cook for 4-6 hours. The meat should be nice and white and melt like butter.
Source: This comes under the heading of "There are as many ways to cook something as there are cooks." It's mine based on variations of friends and places I have eaten. Sometimes I don't even cook it the same way twice. For instance, this last time I put in egg noodles and left out the chile powder. It's still yummy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 20, 2016 at 3:27:19 PM on 10.0.0.27 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us