Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Editing Blemishes from Photos

I will be taking my son's senior pictures and am looking for suggestions for a photo editing software. Most importantly, I need to be able to edit out some acne that he is going through.

I currently have a software that does some editing, but I can't edit out blemishes. My son is kind of shy and says he would rather have me do the pics than a professional because he feels more comfortable. I do take nice pictures, so I don't mind, but unless I get a good software editing program, my pics won't be as good as they should because his acne won't be as toned down as a professional could do.

If anyone out there has used a photo editing software that has the capability of editing out blemishes, I would appreciate the recommendation. Thanks.

Tina from Ashland, OR

By

By Oleeda Bolton (Guest Post)10/09/2008

I would go to Picaso.com and download their free version. I bought the Photoshop Elements and it would lock up every time I tried to edit. From the advise of the IT person at work I downloaded the Picaso (free) and it does everything you would need. If you have a Kodak digital they have their own software (it may be free, I'm not sure, since I have the all in one printer and the Kodak Z1275) but I am able to download theirs free.
Let us know how you do and what system you decide to use. You might also try looking with your search bar and type in "free photo editing tools".

By Grandma J [46]10/08/2008

Hi, I help fix photos alot. I use Printshop by Broderbund. Have used this for over 20 years, just update their programs. MAKE COPIES TO ALTER< NEVER THE ORIGINALS.

Number or date the photos as you make changes, make different files for each photo. Just some suggestions. As you like what you see, move to a KEEP FILE. Remember to SAVE in most programs you need to choose EXPORT out, which allows you a JPEG file. You want to save in a minimum of 600 psi, I can do up to 3600. I have also taken the body off the student and put their head from another photo on it, matching perfectly. Of course, practice over 20+ years makes for perfect.

HOpe this helps. I have Sony DSCH7 & DSCH50 cameras for my fun shooting. I love to do photos of my children/grandchildren, so no professional experience. I do show alot of photos in shows available in our area. Lots of blue ribbons.
Don't be afraid to take unusual photos, up close, half shots, distance, etc. They can be the most beautiful ones you use.

By pcady (Guest Post)10/07/2008

I have a shy son also. I took him to a photographer for his senior pictures. She knew ahead of time that it would have to be fast, she treated the whole thing with a very business type attitude and my son survived it just fine. I think it was a good learning experience for him. I told him that the pictures were very special to me and I wanted them to look great. How else will these shy kids learn to feel more comfortable with people?

By Babette [33]10/06/2008

If your Photoshop has a cloning tool play with that for a while, set the area to be cloned as close to the blemish as possible and if you have a smudge tool after your done cloning do a little smudging to even out any edges of your clone. my favorite Photoshop is photo impressions it came with an old camera

By justhelpingout (Guest Post)10/03/2008

If you are in need of something to get rid of acne, try the Arbonne acne line. If you haven't heard of Arbonne google it and check it out. I have had extremely good luck in ridding my sons of acne if they use it like it is supposed to be used and there are no side effects (burning, redness, etc). I have tried numerous other products and this works the best (acne actually disappears).

By Paul (Guest Post)10/03/2008

Adobe Photoshop Elements software has a 'magic healing' brush that works great for cleaning up blemishes on skin and other unwanted spots on photos. I think you can download a demo/trial version from Adobe's web site and try it out. It does cost $ to keep.
Or you could try Picaso software (download from Google's web site) which is free. I haven't tried it myself but it may work.

By Fran Murrey10/03/2008

While it's hard to know how to advise without knowing what kind of camera you will be using, there are a few things you can do to optimize your photos without using editing software.

1. First, before you begin, have you son spend about a half hour with a cool washcloth on his face. Re-dampen the cloth when it becomes warm. That will cool down the redness.

2. Then apply a thin layer of makeup in a tone just slightly darker than his skin tone using a spray-on makeup if available. Follow this with a very light dusting of translucent powder to take down any "shine".

3. If you have a camera with zoom, stand about 10 feet from where your son is positioned and use the zoom to move in closer. That way the flash will be more diffused and skin tones and texture will appear more even.
I hope this helps. Good luck!