Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Light Oak Cabinets

I want to paint my kitchen walls, but don't know what color to paint them. I have light oak cabinets. My countertops have dark brown and light brown colors and the backsplash is the same color. The floor has gold and brown colors in it. So what color would look the best on my walls?

By Connie from Lamar, AR

How about a cream/tan or go into the sage area.

I think earth tones almost always are best. Sage, pale pumpkin, gold can be a wonderful colour. Red is so overdone and often done badly.

Kitchens should be light and airy, with room to move and breathe. Too dark and it feels cramped and it would be hard to relax and enjoy your meal/company, Brown is a great accent colour, or a base to use lighter colours to compliment it, but with your counters being brown, you'll need to lighten it up to help your kitchen not look so dark, but not lighter than your cabinets (which is why really white would not work). Also, if possible, a lovely hanging light fixture over the dining room table (if you eat in close proximity of the kitchen) or a mirror that will catch natural light and lighten the room would also work wonders if you decide to keep darker colours as your theme.

I hope you post what you decide to do and provide pictures. I love seeing the way people decorate their homes.

You have too much of the light earth tones going on with what you have. I like the sage color suggested. Or an off tangerine with it. Walk through a paint section of a big box store. Stand back a ways and let your eye tell you what pleases you. Grab charts when it does. Take the samples home and use blue tacky to stick them to the walls. Do not put more than a couple colors on at a time. Look at them a couple days before switching them. Make sure all the lights you have in the room, lamps, natural, etc are viewed. Colors change with lights and time of day. Put an "x" on the ones you are still pleased with. Process of elimination, just take a bit.

Sometimes it takes me a year or so to pick a kitchen color. Times of the year makes colors change too. I use oils so when I do it, it stays there awhile. You can go to a fabric store, too, and check colors out. Buy 1/4 yard (minimum they sell) and just lay around, hang up, etc. I make my own curtains as well, easier for me to sew what I like than to pick the base paint for the walls!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 30, 2010
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Paint Color Advice for Kitchen With Maple Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎄
🍂