Keeping Glue From Drying Out

Category Miscellaneous
Glue in Press and Seal
It can be frustrating to find that your glue has dried since the last time you used it. This guide is about keeping glue from drying out.

I keep superglue in my refrigerator. I have a small tube that is at least 8 years old now, and it's still good! I just put the top back on when I'm done using it, and keep it upright in the butter compartment on the inside door.

Source: One of the maintenance guys from work told me about this.

By sjackie2000 from Riverdale, GA

Top Comment

I used to buy 1 lb bottles by the case from a couple of suppliers. We used it to glue gaskets on air filters. Somedays one would work and the other would not - Humidity most likely.

Both suppliers told me to store them in a fridge. Several months in a refrigerator, indefinitely in the freezer.

I have tried many of the ideas to keep Super glue from drying up, but they have not have worked for me. I did find a solution to this problem, by accident.

I took a tube of Super Glue and wrapped it in a piece of Press'N Seal plastic wrap. I only did this because I was so unhappy as I went to use the last tube I had used. I had squeezed it like I had read but to no avail. It was dry as a bone.

I went back a week later and there it was, just fine. It squeezed out like nobody's business. Try it and see, it works. I am a happy crafter again.

The pictures show a tube that I opened today and used. You can see how squished the tube is and it was still full of glue (or half full as I have used it many many times). That tube has been sitting in a jar on my desk. I needed some this morning so I thought to myself " This is a true test". I decided now that I have been doing this for the past 8 months or so and it has worked, I now am sharing it with you all.

By Bonnie from Brownsville, Texas

My husband taught me a little trick tonight. If you are using super glue, before replacing the cap, gently squeeze the tube on the sides and the glue will be "sucked" back down into the tube. Keeps the glue from drying in the applicator, or worse, to the cap!

By Kelli from Sentani, Indonesia

After opening a bottle or tube of "Super Glue", put it in the refrigerator. It will never dry out! I've had a bottle in the door of my frig for 10 years or more and it's still like new. One of the maintenance men in the factory where I worked told me this.

By Jackie S from GA

I keep a glue stick in my desk drawer for sealing envelopes that have lost their stickiness, stamps that have been taken off something I decided not to send, etc. They are so cheap I can keep one everywhere I might need one.

By Linda

Use a small piece of aluminum foil to cover the tip opening and screw back the cap of the glue.

We all know how hard it is to keep those little tubes of "Crazy Glue" free from clogging-up and standing upright, right?