Keep a Sock Bag for Mismatched Socks

We're constantly losing one sock in a pair. I started keeping unmatched socks in a bag as I put laundry away. Every time I'm putting a load of laundry away, I check the unmatched sock bag in case I can find a sock to match the "new" unmatched socks. Sure enough, I'll be able to match up one or two pairs while two or three pairs of unmatched socks go into the bag. Don't ask me why the bag is growing but at least I'm matching some socks instead of throwing them out before I find their partner.

By Denise from Whitby, ON

I do this as well! Wish I had started the practice years ago!

I am so glad to know that my washing machine is not the only one that eats socks! lol I don't have a sock bag but I keep the "spares" in a special place to refer to on laundry day. Thanks for sharing.

I got tired of coming up with one sock, especially my husband's, so I found Sock Clips. They are WONDERFUL!! The only reason I ever find a lone sock is if my husband forgets to clip them together. You can purchase them cheaper from the company than anywhere: sockclip.com. If you get on their email list, they will send you discount offers from time to time. I am getting ready to use one of those very soon myself.

Several years ago, there was a show on HBO called, "Not Necessarily the News" and on the show was a comedian, Rich Hall, who had strange definitions for things, including this: socks that disappear in the dryer are "Lost in the Hose-Zone." I'm not sure of the spelling, but thought you'd like to know where all those socks have gone! We've used it for years.

Glad I'm not the only one who gets socks that never find their partner- born old maids perhaps.

Keep in mind too that if a sock really loses it's mate, it still has value. I keep them for wearing under my matching socks during the cold months, as no one can see them. It's a double layer and you still look nice. Just a thought.

Just put the socks in one of those mesh bags in the washer and dryer, and they'll never get separated or lost.

A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Organizing LaundryMay 19, 2009
Striped Sock
Using A Sock as a Volumizing Hair Bun
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
Adjustable Sock Loom
Using a Knitting Board Adjustable Sock Loom
sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks
🎉
🎄