Have a Plan B When Party Planning

My husband and I planned to host Christmas for his side of the family, which includes 5 children (4 children under the age of 5), and 7 adults. About a month before the party his mother planned to bring chili and I would make sure there were plenty of fixings.

The day before the party, I called her to make sure that she was bringing food, and was assured that she was. The day of the party, she showed up 3 hours late with no food.

My husband, knowing her as well as he does, had planned for this, and sent his brother-in-law and I across the street where (thankfully, they were still open), and we bought up some frozen pizzas and salad stuff. I had made cookies before the party, for the kids and others to munch on before dinner.

The moral of the story is: always have a plan B. No matter how good one's intentions, plan B never hurts.

Source: Had to learn this the hard way.

By JSRP from Lincoln, NE

and . . . never let mother-in-law bring food for another party! You poor thing - good thing "he" knows his mother and thought ahead!

We've never had this specific situation happen to us, but now I won't feel so anal when I'm thinking up a Plan B! I'll also mention this to hubby - he teases me about my anal tendencies constantly.

I think I would have looked at her and told her it was up to her to decide what you all should do. Who could do such a thing? I know she's your mother-in-law, but that would have really made me angry. Good for you to have plan B and not letting it upset you. I'm curious as to what her excuse was? I do think that after 3 hours I would have (after about 1 hour) gone ahead and ate with out her.

Great suggestion... Always have a Plan B!

No matter who is bringing food, when the party is at my house, I always feel responsible for everything. So I make sure to have the basics on hand that I could use if needed. That way, no matter what surprises come up, I'm ready. And if there are no surprises, most things are shelf stable and the rest are meals for the next day!

Holidays and Parties Parties PlanningJanuary 4, 2010
Planning a Halloween Party
Planning a Halloween Party
Photo of stars in the sky.
Stargazer Party Ideas
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎉
🎄