Tiny Holes In Clothing

By Ltb3105 1

I didn't know where to post this, but have read many comments about the tiny holes in the front of thin tee shirts, mostly by the bottom of the shirt. None of my kids' or hubby's clothes are affected. I have a walk in closet and it has only happened since we moved here in 2003.

I never saw these holes in my former house. So how could it be the jean button or seat belt of my car, if it never happened until we moved into this house?

By Ltb3105 from Bedford, TX

Filter Sort

By kmcghghy59 1 Flag

Actually what is happening is that the material that they are making the clothes from now days is thinner than it used to be. This is starting to be very irritating now that 2 of my favorite shirts from Express has developed holes and my boyfriends Express Underwear. I have sewed up a few things but I'm very unhappy with this quality of cotton. It's one thing to have cute little light shirts but entirely unacceptable when you pay 50.00 for a shirt and it starts falling apart! That is what is happening. That's why all your experiments have the same outcome. Not because it's your belly button, jean button or seat belt. This is why it doesn't happen as often to your husband or son's clothes. They do not wear the thinner clothing. And just as an added note. I ALWAYS wash my clothes after wearing them, I never hang them back up. I wash them and usually because the clothes that are affected are thinner shirts, I never dry them, because I don't want wrinkles and it's less wear and tear on the material.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Leigh 5 31 Flag

It's interesting reading all the comments in the posts regarding this. I just love the "Joe" line of clothing at Superstore but I have noticed small random holes in the t-shirts when they are still fairly new. None of my other clothes so I think the brand is pretty "fragile" (is that a politically correct term for it?) I do find the T's in the clearance shelf for under $5 so I guess you get what you pay for.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jess 132 772 Flag

I like to buy thin cute t-shirts and I also find that I develop small holes toward the bottom front of the shirts. Lucky brand is the worst. The material is just a lot thinner than the old fashioned Hanes shirts that we used to get. I don't think it is your house, but just a decrease in the fabric quality since 2003.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By applesauce 8 55 Flag

If you happen to wash a "bra" with t-shirts, the "hooks" will certainly damage the shirts, just a thought.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lilac 20 1,329 Flag

Check the edge of your counter top where you stand at the sink. If is rough that may be the reason for the holes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lorraine 20 96 Flag

I've read that it's caused by poor quality fibers. Where they join together when being weaver.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Hannah 8 Flag

I had this happen once before and it was due to bleach in the laundry. Once I stopped using detergent with bleach the tiny holes stopped appearing. Hannah -- Dallas TX

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Katherine 1 Flag

I have at least 5 shirts with these tiny holes at the front. I was perplexed but after hearing it could be from my granite I put one on backwards and went about my day of baking in the kitchen and lo and behold. Holes! Yes, the granite is the culprit. Guess I will get some use out of my pretty aprons now!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Teresa Tart 1 345 Flag

We women do so much that there is no telling what causes it. I mean think of all the things you do during your regular day. From washing clothes to cleaning bathrooms, floors. cooking and much more. I would say to just wear an apron. We are hard working women and the holes in our clothes show it! LOL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By T.J. 1 Flag

By any chance do oyu have a frontloader wash machine??? Everyone I talk to who has one gets these little holes in the bottom of their shirts. the manufactures deny it saying we are washing wrong! Whatever!! I never had this when I had my old regular washer and dryer. Im going back to the cheeper model. Save me money on clothes!Forget energy! TJ

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Compltlyme 5 12 Flag

I too have the same problem. I found that since I moved into this house there are tiny holes in my thin t-shirts. So I pay careful attention and found I am getting them at my kitchen sink. Due to the height of this counter. It meets the button on my jeans and lo and behold, holes in my shirt. I have a tile counter with a rough feeling grout. That is what is doing mine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tina 1 Flag

I have noticed this problem in my clothes for about 4 years now. I have come to the conclusion it is my jean buttons. I have been wearing Levis, below the waist jeans for about the same amount of time. I have changed cars, houses, washing machines, etc. over the years. The only thing to remain the same is the type of Jeans I buy. Although, I find this style of jeans very comfortable to wear, the down side is that the lower waist tends to put the metal button at my "widest" part and an area I tend to lean on, like counters and where the pressure of a seat belt goes. I have dozens of shirts of various quality and thickness that have these holes. Just recently, I wore a brand new, high quality T-shirt and after one day, there are holes, all in the same area. I think the only solution is to buy jeans without metal buttons or remove the metal buttons from my jeans and replace with plastic buttons or start tucking in all my shirts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Alison Epstein 1 Flag

Wow, lots of tiny holes out there. I just started getting tiny holes in my t-shirts after purchasing my Ford Escape last spring. I've ruined 6 favorite t-shirts (it took a while to figure out where I am probably getting them from). There is a tiny button on the seat belt that must have a rough edge I can't feel with my finger. I can't imagine that a washer would put holes always in the same place. Does anyone else with these tiny t-shirt holes have a Ford Escape? I'm going to try something (like duct tape?) over the little button thingy and see if there is an improvement.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By TamelaE 2 Flag

I agree it is the jeans,since i started wearing lower rise jeans i have holes in all my shirts. I believe it is the stiff piece of fabric over the button and the button hole. I have sewn it back so it doesn't stick out and poke my shirts, ( helped some) I have also thought about rounding the material so there is no corner on the jeans by the button,or even covering the top edge of the jeans with soft fabric like felt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Monet 1 Flag

Yes! Tiny holes. It is from the seatbelt. Took me a long time to figure it out. I am going to glue a piece of fabric on the button on the seatbelt. If you feel the seatbelt you will see the side that is not up against you is smoother. Lets hope the little button on the belts were put on backwards and not that the seatbelts were put on the wrong side of the car. I ruined many, many T-shirts some I paid $20.00 a piece for that are not thin, heavy well made cotton from the good ole USA. Apparently when you put the belt on you pull it up and over, if your like me when I take it off I just unclip it and let it go. That is when it occurs. I made a point lately to check my shirt before and right after I got out of the car to actually know its the belt. No moths, no washer hope this helps everyone and glad to hear it's not just mine. For a while I was going crazy trying to figure it out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By kaysk 1 4 Flag

Last year I brought a new 2010 Silverado pickup truck. I began noticing all my shirts and sweaters over the winter were starting to have fuzzing and piling. The shirts and sweaters are high quality and I'm tired of ruining so many clothes. It took me a while to figure out it was the seat belt. I don't know what to do or how to stop this? Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm sure its the lap part of my seat belt. I had a brand new shirt on and I pulled it out over the seat belt and it was fine. Wore the same shirt again forgot to pull it out and it was ruined. It looks like a line across the bottom with fuzz. Has anyone else had this problem with seat belts? Thanks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

October 1, 2012 Flag

I have noticed that I get this and I've come to the conclusion that it's my belt buckle on my jeans! Or it could be where the buckle on my jeans has rubbed against the t-shirt while I'm wearing a seat belt.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cdespres 1 Flag

I've read most of the answer relating to tiny holes in clothing. I was astonished at some of the answers. I've narrowed down to buttons on pants. Of course now with the style of clothes most tops are worn over our pants. My husband tucks all his shirts, t-shirts etc in his pants and therefore has no tiny holes on his clothes. I usually pay good money for my clothes and have ruined many tops. My only alternative to saving my tops is to wear a camisole under my tops. Works for me. By the way, I wash my husband's clothes in the same front loading machine, he wears a seat belt just like I do and he also works in the kitchen with me.....but does tuck in his shirts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deborah P. 1 Flag

It's definitely the granite! Every shirt I own has these tiny little holes. I'm the only one in my house this happens to because I'm always at the kitchen sink and the counter lines up with shirt.

I think it's time to get rid of the granite! I heard some pieces of granite have radiation and could cause cancer!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By treesh99 3 Flag

I have read some of the most ridiculous answers on this thread and elsewhere on the Internet! Micro-organisms?

Really, the washer is not selective about putting holes in one area of your shirts. I even read someone say it's bugs in your drawers.

The answer is quite simple. It is not only granite counter tops, it's ALL counter tops. It's not the counter itself. It is the process of rubbing against the counter when you are wearing a metal button on your pants. It could be any type of counter, including your bathroom counter when you brush your teeth. This would not occur if you happen to be wearing pants without a button (ie yoga pants or leggings, etc.).

The placement of the holes are always in the front, but depending on your height or the height of the counter, they may be a little lower or higher on individual people.

So....either lift up your shirt when you are leaning on the counter, or just don't lean on it while you are at the sinks or cooking. You could try an apron, but that might not stop the shirt from rubbing on the button. You could also just wear a junk shirt when at home.

The placement of your seatbelt in your car could cause the same rubbing if the conditions are right. So put your shirt over your seatbelt if you aren't wearing a jacket.

Pretty simple, it seems.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By treesh99 3 Flag

Just to add to my answer, my 12 year old had the tiny holes on his shirt yesterday and I asked him if he had worn that shirt when he did the dishes for me one day a few weeks ago...the answer was yes. He never does the dishes and he has no holes on any of his other shirts.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Alison B. 1 Flag

So I've been suffering from the wholy shirt syndrome for a few years. After re-doing my kitchen counters and still getting holes I moved on from the counter blaming. I also moved to a new home with new, quartz counters that sure feel smooth. Did some research and came to the conclusion that it was my car seatbelt because I'm the only one in the family who has this problem. So I made a little, fuzzy seat belt cover for my car. Did not solve the problem.

Well...Got a brand new shirt yesterday. High end, thick, cotton tshirt. NO holes when I put it on this morning. Just got home from work and went to take it off and there is one tiny hole. Right below where my belly button is. Same place as always.

So I started to do more research and decided to do a 'counter trial'. Put an old, seldom worn tshirt with no holes and leaned against the counter where I had been reading the newspaper (for maybe 5 minutes) before changing my clothes and lightly rubbed back and forth a few times. Presto... there is a hole in my shirt!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By treesh99 3 Flag

You got it, Alison!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By 4revolutionary 1 Flag

I found it is not the counter top, it is the jean button/or above the button where it comes to a point and is very thick. If it was caused by a front loader I would think it would not be selective with holes only in the front at the bottom of the shirt, they would be on the back, the sleeves, etc. Seatbelts could be rubbing against the jeans and shirt causing the same holes as if you were rubbing against a countertop or any other surface.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By aamey 1 Flag

I'm having the same problem. I know it's not silverfish because its only happening to the tops I wear all the time and it is always in the same location - in the front. From reading everyones answers, and the fact it has only started happening to me since I moved into my new house in October last year. I believe it is my granite bench tops.

I'm ruling out seatbelts because I've had my current car for 3 years and its only been the past 10 months that holes have started appearing in my tops. I also believe it is two particular low rise pairs of jeans that are causing the holes after I lean against my grainte bench tops.

I checked a couple of my other tops this morning that are thicker material and I can see that they almost have holes in them too. Very frustrating, expensive problem and its hard to remember to change your top before going into the kitchen!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By billyjudio 1 Flag

Just complained to my daughter that I have ruined another new top! It only happens when I wear jeans and it happens with all my jeans (different brands). So frustrating. Last year I put packing tape over the button and that helped, but what a pain to have to do that. Wish I could figure out some other way to cover the button. Hate to not be able to wear my jeans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Traylb31 1 Flag

I have a kinda same problem but different, I am a plus size woman, and every pair of pants I own that are cotton have tiny holes in the right side of my behind towards the top of my pants. It has been driving me crazy to figure out why. What makes it even more crazy is that it is in the exact same spot in every pair. I have checked everywhere and can't find anything!

I just bought a new pair of pants because of this reason and today was the first day wearing them, I wore them about 6 hours, didn't think about the holes, just took them off to do some laundry, and low and behold 3 tiny hole starting in the exact same spot, I wish somebody could help me, I am in tears right now! Any thoughts?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Phyllis Heim S. 1 Flag

Since I was convinced it is the bulk of fabric at the corner of the waistband of the jeans (the side with the snap or button), I tried an experiment to find the cause of the annoying and costly problem:

After purchasing a new shirt (t-shirt knit), I inspected it for any defects, paying particular attention to the center, mid-way to bottom of the shirt.

Throughout the day I checked the area of the shirt where this problem always occurs, (the bulk of the fabric corner of waistband on the jean which curled forward).

Even before noon, I began to notice shiny spots appearing, indicating a definite wear pattern exactly where the jeans waistband touched the shirt. By the end of day several tiny holes appeared where the shiny spots began.

I have tried ironing a light-weight knit interfacing to the area of the shirts where the holes tend to appear which did help but the hang of the shirt suffered somewhat. I am now wearing a camisole on top as a buffer (helps also); but want to eliminate the bulk of fabric without causing another problem (fraying of the jeans).

A friend suggested duct taping!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By NeoNeo 1 Flag

I'm 5'1''. When I lean against the counter to wash dishes, my jeans button meets up with the bottom edge of the counter with the shirt in between and cuts littles holes in the shirt. I solved the problem by putting clear Scotch packing tape along the edge of the counter. It barely shows so that it is not noticable. I didn't have any more holes in my shirts for two years before needing to replace the tape.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cindys33 1 Flag

There have been a lot of explanations for the tiny holes in t-shirts. The simple fact is that there is a friction between denim and jersey fabric, along with the pointed corner of the waistband that cause the tiny holes.

I have battle this problem for years and came up with a solution. You can view this garment protector at www.etsy.com/listing/181602362/garment-protectors-adhesive-backed?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By darrellrecob 1 Flag

I have many shirts, some almost new, the same way. I believe mine, along with a severe stroke, were caused by metabolic acidosis from not wearing my CPAP machine for sleep apnea. Check either your urine or saliva ph level.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ShannonKCMO 1 Flag

I have these holes too. I never had them until I started wearing a belt. It is the "stem" of the buckle (the part that goes in the holes) that rubs on your shirt and causes the holes. I have to wear a belt so I'm putting some packing tape on the stem to see if that helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr96687915 Flag

Very frustrating! New lightweight sweater - wore it 3 times - and two new holes have appeared like numerous other tops of mine. It is not caused by granite counter tops, since I have laminate. The problem started 3 years ago with the purchase of new GM cars. My daughter has a Ford and the seat belts are a bit different in how they are sewn. My seatbelt stitching has two very sharp start and end points. When the holes come, they are always in pairs of two, spaced apart as the width of the seatbelt. I bought a strap cover meant for baby car seats, but it continually slips. I am convinced the holes are caused by the seat belts. I believe that my husband does not have the problem because he always wears cotton button up shirts, and I wear knits.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Gena V. 1 Flag

Glad I googled "holes in clothes"! I was mystified & mortified about these little holes right by where my belly button is in front of new t-shirts, especially my favorites. After reading comments I now realize it could be from the car seatbelts and/or rubbing on granite countertops. What I think the real culprit is the washes (acid wash, bleached, faded look) on the t-shirts we buy that manufacturers give the fabric to make them feel softer and not spanking new. I've ruined J.Crew & Ann Taylor cotton (100%) tops and even a BCBG that was 100% rayon.

I thought at first it was moths but never saw them & my husband pointed out they wouldn't be making holes always in the same spot. So anyway, these "washes" weaken the fabric so any little friction breaks the fibers thus causing little holes. I just figured this out from reading your posts. So thanks a bunch! From now on I'll work in the kitchen on my old t-shirts, or the ones with holes. Now about the car seatbelts, guess I'll have to wrap it up with something.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By joelisharc 1 Flag

I get the same problem; but it really sucks when you budget your shopping and get 8 tops from Express and ALL 8 have end up with this holes in them and,less than a year old cloth. I can only wear them to sleep or clean the house! #boycottexpress

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jamesk D. 1 Flag

I agree and understand on the cheaper or worn material. I come from a family of hand me downs, don't think I owned a pair of jeans that didn't have holes growing up lol. My jeans now all have holes flooring contractor by trade. I came here because this just happened to me and it was to pairs of jeans I've had for 5 years as well as ones recently bought. I was looking or thinking maybe it had something to do with the water or laundry soap I used tide (He turbo) and I did wash in warm/warm warter when normally I use cold / cold. has anyone with the holes use that freshner pack that came with the detergent I also used half of that

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dedel Epe R. 1 Flag

I googled answers for tiny holes in clothing when I saw my third cashmere sweater have tiny holes from 1 to 6 mm in diameter. All those sweaters had no holes when I placed them in the drawer. It is also the same drawer and only happened to my cashmere sweaters maybe because they were thinner. I thought it snagged from the drawer but I tried to feel the top and it was pretty smooth. I was trying to look for insects but did not see any. I live in Miami and Cashmere is seldom used but only during the colder months and only for few days or nights to use cold weather clothes. I discover the holes when I am organizing my drawers. It seems like every year I have thin cashmere sweater that will have holes in them. Cashmeres are expensive and putting beads or apliques will not look good on it . The holes can be in the sleeves or by the chest, by the bottom, by the neck area, randomly scattered and some clustered together. If it is some sort of microscopic insect or bacteria, what can I do to treat my drawer? How can I protect my clothes from these tiny creatures?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dereck C. 1 Flag

I have been plagued by the same problems of 100's of people regarding holes in t-shirts and have read 100's of theories. Having done so, I just carried out a little experiment with the t-shirt I am wearing with holes in. I took a pair of my Levi jeans and put one of the copper rivets behind the t-shirt. I then rubbed the t-shirt with the rivet behind it several times along a car seat belt. Nothing happened other than a dirty mark on the t-shirt. I then took it to the kitchen and rubbed it heavily against the edge of the work surface and nothing happened. However, I then rubbed it once and fairly gently along the stainless steel drawer handle in our fitted kitchen and low and behold the tiny tell tale hole appeared just like all the others. It would appear that if a cotton t-shirt is rubbed between two metals ie copper rivet and stainless steel drawer handle, it takes very effort to make a hole appear. As I am a house husband and do all the kitchen work in our home, it would explain why my wife's and son's t-shirts are not affected. Also, I always wear my t-shirts outside my jeans so the top button and copper rivets are always under the t-shirt. We do not have moths and I have fully checked out our front loading washing machine. There are no sharp edges of any kind! I suggest that if you have modern protruding metal drawer handles the answer may be to change them or wear your t-shirt inside your jeans!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Doodlesjd 1 Flag

Has any investigation been done into the correlation between these alien holes in cotton blend tees and the new HE washing machines that do not agitate but are called impellers. I NEVER had a issue prior to the purchase of a 'efficient' environmentally protective washer! just saying...sometimes the old is not necessarily bad!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Small Holes in Shirts

By tommy t 1 1

What causes small holes in my shirts?

By Tommy from Youngsville, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By peachzeenie 1 Flag

I really believe that all the people that have posted here, do not have holes in their tops from Counter tops, seatbelts or wearing jeans. Think about it. Has this been going on your whole life? You have always worn seatbelts. My car is 9 years old and i have never had holes in my shirts. We moved here almost 2 years ago. NEVER had this problem in the old house. I have new tops but also old tops. Makes no difference, I get holes in some of the cotton ones. It does occur towards the bottom. I have/ had granite countertops. I have cheap clothes and also good quality clothes. It does not matter! I truly believe in most cases you are all having trouble with tiny clothes mites or moths or something like that. I am doing research. This is the first site that came up on Google search. Will keep researching. If I find anything out more definitive, I will post here! Thanks for all your comments! Sounds like there are a lot of people with this problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Preventing Your Seatbelt from Ruining Your Clothes

By kaysk 1 4

Last year I bought a new 2010 Chevy Silverado pickup truck. It wasn't long until I noticed all my shirts and even my sweaters, over the winter, had what I would describe as piling or fuzz on them. It's always a straight line on the bottom of shirt. I'm sure it's the lap belt part of the seatbelt.

My shirts are of high quality and this is driving me crazy as clothes aren't cheap. I pulled my new shirt out from under the bottom part of the lap belt and this never happened. Then the one time I forgot to pull it out there it was a long fuzzy piling along the bottom of my shirt. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?

By kaysk

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kaysk 1 4 Flag

Thanks everyone I will give the fuzz shaver a try first if it doesn't work I will turn to the covers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Tiny Holes Appearing in T-shirts After Washing

I've noticed that when I wash my tee-shirts (which were new) I have tiny holes in them, not just one, but a lot of them. What am I doing wrong?

Patty from Hyattsville, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tommy t 1 1 Flag

I am having this same problem. I have read on this site that car seat belts may be causing this, but is your son old enough to drive? also, I noticed it happened to one of my undershirts, which is unlikely to be exposed to the seat belt of my car. But, I am having the same problem and it only happens to my shirts, not my wife or kids. I drive a Cadillac CTS 2010. Let me know if this helps or if you have other information.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cause of Little Round Holes in Clothing

None of these answers explains the holes which I am increasingly finding in the seats of my pants. They are in the pattern of a round hole about the size of a pencil eraser with a smaller hole next to it. Have also found similar holes in tops and even panties.

By Carolyn M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Donna 41 Flag

I get them from cramming clothes into a drawer. Stuffing the drawer makes items catch between the drawer and cabinet causing a small hole or cut in the fabric. Sometimes the hole doesn't become apparent until after laundering. And I still do it. When will I ever learn?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Is there a connection between front loading washers and tiny holes in T-shirts?

Leslie from Columbus, OH

Answers:

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Are the holes in front about waist high? My guys have ALWAYS had little holes there and I finally decided it was because that area rubs on the front fasteners of their pants. No difference for us in our old top load and new front load. (06/25/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Make sure you are zipping up all zippers and buttons because with front loaders the clothes rub together. (06/25/2008)

By THATSKELLY

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

No. I have a top loading washer and have tiny holes all through my t-shirts! Very annoying! I embroider small flowers over the holes in my granddaughter's t-shirts and she loves them. No one else in her class has the same shirt! (06/25/2008)

By catastrofy

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

It is probably from using too much bleach, or using bleach too often, which eats through clothes over time and weakens and destroys the fibers. (06/26/2008)

By Anita

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I was told that on the more inexpensive t shirts, the little holes are where the machine making them starts a new thread. They unravel a little at that point and, I don't know if this is true or not, but my more expensive t-shirts don't seem to have the little hole problem. (06/26/2008)

By katklaw777

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have the same frustrating issue of tiny holes in the front waist line of my t shirts, which happened within the last month. Same washer/dryer so that's not the issue. Then I thought "moths!", but it's not all my clothes, and they usually don't attack cotton, and how can it be a coincidence that the bugs would always eat the same place on the T shirts. Is it my seatbelt?

I've "lost" 7 shirts over the past few weeks, some cheap, some expensive, some new, some are old. I think it might be my detergent. I've read that biological detergents with enzymes (purposes of the enzymes is to break down protein, starches and fat that may be found in dirt and stains upon clothing to be laundered, for example food stains, sweat or mud) might attack shirts, specifically proteins on a shirt, so if you have a bit of silk or a splatter of grease or a bit of wool in a T shirt, the enzymes can differentiate a stain from the fabric of the shirt, so it attacks & causes the hole. I've tried to become more "environmentally friendly" using non-toxic, natural laundry detergent, but I think this is the cause of my holes in my T shirts. So, I'm switching back to tide, getting some new shirts, and hoping for the best. (08/18/2008)

By Sarah

Archive: Tiny Holes In Clothing

All of the postings that I have read so far haven't answered my question relating to finding the source and having a solution as to what to do about tiny holes in cotton t-shirts. If there is someone out there who can help, I would be most appreciative. I have found tiny holes in the front of thin cotton t-shirts or other fine cotton wear, like thin cotton summer wraps.

The holes that appear are always on the front of the garment, either one or in a cluster of three or four tiny holes occurring about waist high. Now, the conundrum is most, if not all, of the shirts are new. Some never having been worn, or only worn once or twice, and haven't been laundered. So, then, if I rule out laundry and cleaning agents, snags and imperfections in the fabric. What would cause these holes to suddenly appear from one day to the next, after simply hanging the shirts in my closet?

Assuming that it is some kind of moth, worm, insect, or mite eating through the cloth, does anyone have an idea of how to eradicate them? Is there some kind of moth ball or repellent that doesn't smell like a moth ball? What furthers my theory, is that prior to about three or four years ago, I never had, nor even heard, of this problem. In the past, I've had wool sweaters eaten through by a moth, leaving a telltale casing, but this has never happened with cotton. Help. I don't want to keep buying expensive shirts only to discover holes in them even before I wear them.

Alix from Tarzana, CA

Feedback:

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Check your belts and buckles. (08/28/2008)

By SweetCali40

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Question: do you smoke? As when I did, that's what I would get from the hot ashes. If not try cedar. It will keep the moths away, but it doesn't sound like moths as they eat all over the shirt, and if it's your seat belt, make a cover for it. Good luck. (08/28/2008)

By Margaret from TX

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

The holes could be from standing at your kitchen sink, and the rubbing against the edge of your counter top, try wearing an apron, and see what happens.
(08/29/2008)

By WandaA

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

If the holes are always in the front of your shirts, they cannot be caused by an insect. Insects don't know front from back or top from bottom. It has to be from something that is coming in contact with the front of this shirt, car seatbelt, edge of your sink, belt buckle? Perhaps it is something that you are using that is splashing onto this area of the shirt, some bleach product? some cosmetic that works the same as bleach? Acne medicine? What about something on your purse or a watch or a bracelet that catches and snags on this area? You will have to do some sort of detective work to figure this out. (08/29/2008)

By louel53

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Another thought, if this is something in the closet, which I doubt, one way to fix that is to keep the shirts in a drawer or in a Rubbermaid tub under the bed, or anywhere else, just not in the closet. If the holes continue to appear, it is not something in the closet. Are you sure these holes are appearing in shirts that have never been worn? Does anyone else in the family living in the house have these same problems, or is it just shirts belonging to you? Could they be getting snagged on something in the closet, a sharp area on the door? (08/29/2008)

By louel53

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

If the shirts are new why don't you return them back to the store you bought them from? (08/29/2008)

By pekas

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have heard that bay leaves can stop moths and worms. Don't know if it works, but it's worth a try. (08/29/2008)

By Chris

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Mice can climb anywhere and on anything and you find signs of them (not just feces) everywhere. Yellow stains on items that have been hanging in the closet, tiny bite holes, and the awful smell they leave behind. You might want to check little used drawers and cubbyholes for more definite proof. Good luck. (09/02/2008)

By Teresa

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I managed to match the tiny holes in all of my shirts with the little buttons on the pocket of my jeans, try that.
(09/06/2008)

By Eric

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I am having the same problem, tiny holes around the waist area of my T shirts and spoke with a friend of mine who was having this problem to a greater degree. She says the tiny holes are caused by carpet beetles. She called a pest control company and took all rugs, draperies, and clothing to be dry cleaned. (09/07/2008)

By Nancy

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

About 20 years ago I lived in an apartment and I had a nice walk in closet. It had a hanging rack on both sides. On one side I hung jeans and slacks and on the other side were shirts, blouses, dresses, etc. I started noticing tiny holes in many of my shirts, all in the same area (left shoulder). At first I blew it off, but it was randomly on shirts throughout the line. Finally I noticed a black line moving on my clothes. It was ants. I know that's not normal, but after the ants left the holes stopped. It seems more realistic that yours may be getting snagged on pants or seatbelt or something. When you figure it out, do tell. (09/16/2008)

By Suzanne1989

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have the same problem, and I found that the holes line up with the top flap at the snap or button of my jeans. The top tip of the flap usually curls outward. This is lining up perfectly with the holes in my T-shirts which I wear on the outside of my jeans. I am too short for it to be rubbing on the counter, besides this would more than likely make a long tear in the fabric. Hope this helps. (09/20/2008)

By Danialle

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Sarah is correct. It is the fabric and the newer detergents. The fabric quality, even in expensive items, is not the same as it has been in the past. So when your clothes rubbed the pant area or something, it wasn't noticeable before. But now it is. I am not switching to Tide. I just deal with it. Gives me a little air conditioning. It is not an insect. Or the holes wouldn't be in the same areas. (10/04/2008)

By yaffadreams

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Just did the granite top test. Put my damaged t-shirt on back to front and rubbed my belly on the granite. 3 holes, yes they have appeared out of nowhere. I can certainly say those holes always around the belly area are from my granite surface. My granite is smooth, it's the small undetected "chips" that cut a small hole. What to do about it, hold my belly in? Wear an apron? (10/08/2008)

By Deb

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

You won't believe this, but I just spoke with my daughter, she was complaining about holes in her "good" t- shirts hanging in her closet. I suggested cedar. The holes could possibly be from moth larvae. The moth has laid eggs and the larvae are eating (little holes) in the natural fabrics, usually cotton, wool.

There are abundant cedar products at stores like Home Depot, hardware stores, etc. Either clean out your closet and hang cedar planks, balls, etc. or pull out the items in your closet and toss them in your drier with good heat to kill the little buggers and then hang, or put in drawers with the cedar product.

You can get spray refills to re-cedar planks you purchase, but don't spray directly on your clothing; these items you care about. I don't think you want the cedar touching the clothing, but read directions on the cedar products you purchase. This has worked for me. Good luck. (11/09/2008)

By Pam

Holes in t-shirts

I don't know if I have solved everyone's problem, but I can't believe I've solved mine. I was to the point where I was blaming the manufacturer of the jeans for putting holes in my t-shirts as well as thinking it might be my seat belt, but I now have a new vehicle. I wore a brand new long sleeve t only once, guess what, 4 holes in it.

I knew it had to be the jeans so the next day I wore the same jeans with a belt, which covered the button and button hole of the jean. The corner of the button hole seems to not lay flat and it had to have been either that rubbing on my tees or the button, but I wore another new shirt today with the belt on my jeans and presto no holes. I would suggest trying to wear a belt. (11/21/2008)

By Susan

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I suspect that it may be the Velcro fastener on the front of my shorts. Does that ring any bells with anyone? Do you have Velcro on your pants? I am systematically killing all my T shirts with little holes just under my belly button. I am very concerned. (01/19/2009)

By Lucas

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I would put moth balls where the clothes are also put some all over the house, hope this helps, good luck. (03/06/2009)

By kffrmw88

Problem Fixed! Solution Found!

It is definitely the seat belt. I actually did a week long "test" because so many of my tanks and tees have been ruined in the same spot, same exact tiny holes. It has been driving me crazy. No front-loader washer, no moths. When your shirt hangs over the button and waistband of jeans, and you put on your seat belt over it, the movement of your body combined with the pressure from the seat belt creates a friction every time you move; thus, the holes.

I found the only way to eliminate this (minus not wearing your seat belt which is ridiculous and unsafe) is to pull your shirt up above your waistband prior to putting on your seat belt. That way the lap belt will only be against you/your pants and not your shirt. Hope this helps. (09/09/2009)

By kimmack

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

This mystery has been solved for me. Just the other day, I was wearing a brand new cotton shirt with jeans. Standing at my kitchen sink washing dishes, I heard a scraping sound at my waist. I looked down at my shirt and noticed tiny holes and realized I had been leaning against my granite counter top. Sure enough, the metal button on my jeans had worn these tiny holes in my shirt from the friction of the granite. Case closed. Now I'm in the market for some aprons. (12/05/2009)

By HJArmstrong

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I too had this problem and six months later found the culprit. Only cotton shirts were affected, as polyester is too slippery, I discovered my car seat belt had a crack in the underside of plastic button that rests on my lap. Since covering the button no more holes. My car is not old so why not check your seat belt. (01/11/2010)

By doctorb1

Archive: Tiny Holes In Clothing

There are tiny holes showing up at the top of my blouse and t-shirts. Does anyone have an answer as to why? These were fairly new clothes.

By Bettie from Detroit, MI

Feedback:

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

You may have moths eating your clothes, or it may be that you need to separate your laundry loads into regular, delicate, etc., if you aren't already doing so. Also buttoning buttons, and zipping zippers when you wash may help too so fabrics don't snag. (04/12/2010)

By JenlovesChocochip

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

It sounds like zippers in the washer to me. Delicate clothing should be washed separately. Even buttons that have sharp edges can do it. Watch what you put in the laundry and see if there might be a culprit there. Also your washer could have chipped places on the tub. (04/14/2010)

By Lilac

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I thought of something else. Do you have a cat? When cats jump up on your lap they sometimes snag clothes with their claws. (04/14/2010)

By Lilac

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I am having this same problem for the last 2 years, in fact last month I bought 4 new t-shirts, wore 2 of them once only to find holes in them after the first wash (nice front loaders).
I am inclined to think it is moth larvae. (I have put catchers in my closet and have caught small moths, but not continuously, just after I first put them in.)
Here is a post I found on a different site, I copied and pasted it because in my opinion it was the most helpful.
***********

I collect textiles and had a serious moth infestation a few months ago, which cost me thousands of dollars to deal with (in addition to what I needed to throw out). Here's what you need to know.

You may not see anything flying around. I discovered the problem when I found holes in a stored rug. I ultimately found a tribal cape that was infested.

Moths and beetles eat natural fibers and not just wool, although whatever was in my closet showed a real preference for goat hair. Any type of fur, silk, etc. are all at risk. Silverfish eat paper, etc.

The first step in dealing with an infestation is to clean out the closet, have "everything" dry cleaned or washed in hot water and have all holes/cracks in any sort of closet sealed. Vacuum and wash the closet thoroughly, then get an exterminator who specializes in this, like Orkin. They need to come every 3 months and are only a partial solution. You can monitor how things are going by buying traps and pheromone lures, unfortunately, you need different lures for each type of moth (there are two), etc. and you need to put in new lures every couple of months. Pheromones will kill males, but the traps are more important for monitoring. If you have something that you can't clean, see if you can put it into the freezer, cranked up to high, for two weeks, then thaw it carefully.

Cedar is useless. What seems to have worked was the fact that cedar closets and chests are tightly sealed, but as for hangers, chips, blocks, spray, nope - read the literature.

Clean things before you store them for the summer. You'd be amazed at how much is known about moths dietary preferences, e.g., ring around the collar, different stains. Yuck!

If you store rugs, you can have them moth proofed, which will last for 3 years and costs about $25 per rug. A good rug dealer can do it; I had valuable antiques done.

Since this is a chronic concern in museums, there's a lot of good information on-line, including:

http://www.textilemuseum.org/care/brochures/pestbusters.htm
http://www.nature.nps.gov/biology/ipm/manual/museum.cfm
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7436.html
http://missourifamilies.org/features/materialarticles/feature5.htm

And whatever you do, do NOT just ignore the holes and hope whatever you've got will go away.
Posted by Taureg on May 9th 2007 at 3:14pm (04/21/2010)

By calitz

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have had the same problem for six years and I just figured it out! Do you have Cambria countertops? My countertop even though it had no rough edges turned out to be the culprit. If you do, call their customer service number and they will have someone come out and sand the edges. I just bought a new shirt last night and for the first time in six years I am not going to be completely paranoid when I wear it. I hope this helps! (04/30/2010)

By thirftymamma

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

This has been driving me nuts for over a year or at least my husband says I am.
Thanks to the person who had the tip on the counter top.
I just took a holey t-shirt and put it on backwards and pretended to do my normal or at least it is for women normal kitchen routine. I washed, rinsed, and prepared dinner. Moving at the speed most mothers do, it didn't take but a few minutes for the holes to appear in the stomach area of my shirt. The quartz countertop was the bug I though was in my closet and now I know why it didn't effective my husband's shirts. Ha ha he is only at the table eating. Thanks for the tip love going to my closet, bug free!
(06/01/2010)

By finallysane

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

We own two Hondas, and I know without a doubt that their seat belts have been destroying our shirts. Took me a while to figure it out, but after wearing yet another brand new shirt to the grocery store, less than ten minutes away, I could see the rub marks from the seat belt rivet and the typical pattern of small holes within the rub marks. (It was my very first time wearing the shirt!)

I wrote a letter to Honda. Their customer service department called and basically accused me of lying about the damage and dollar amount of shirts that had been ruined. (Several years worth of nice clothes, x 2 people, can add up fast, especially when you have to keep replacing them due to holes in the front!) He said I was the only person who had ever complained, and because there wasn't a recall on the seat belt, they were not going to do anything about it. I try to remember now to put the seat belt under my shirt, but I forgot a few weeks ago and it happened again. I swore at myself and then at the very rude Honda guy who doesn't believe me. I wanted to hold it up in front of his face and yell, "See I'm not lying!" (12/29/2010)

By stellajr

Archive: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I keep finding tiny round holes in my clothing and think it may be caused by moths. Should I be able to see these moths? If so what do they look like? Thanks.

By Ruth from Scotland

Feedback:

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Ruth, below is link that might help. As the article says, it's the larvae of these fabric pests, not the adults, doing the damage so I doubt you will actually see them. Also check the inside finish of both your washing machine and dryer for imperfections. Any slight nick on the interior or paint of the walls, lids, and doors can cause dozens and dozens of small clothing snags long before you even spot them.

Here's the site. (I'm sure there are many others like it on the web if this doesn't answer your questions. Search under "moths and silverfish" or "fabric pests".) Good luck.

http://www.pantrypest.com/fabriccontrol.htm (01/13/2011)

By KansasCindy

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

Silver fish can also be doing this. They like to eat fabric. (01/17/2011)

By TandT Grandma

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

After getting holes in many of my shirts only worn with my jeans, I have concluded that the metal button on my jeans is causing the problem. I rarely tuck shirts in. Now I am putting masking tape over the buttons so I will see if that helps.
(02/20/2011)

By lindab1527

RE: Tiny Holes In Clothing

I have been having this problem for years and it's been driving me mad. I have finally worked out that it is my jeans, all 3 pairs do it. It's not the button or the belt but when I sit down my jeans are quite tight over my tummy and the zip tends to stick out and I think that is what's doing it. I tried cutting the zip off and replacing with a safety pin, but still got holes. I now have a pair of button fly jeans and finally have some t shirts without holes. Not easy to find button flies though. Anyone know a good place to get these? (03/23/2011)

By cas_stevens

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 26, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman holding a dog in arms.
Removing Pet Hair from Clothing
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
Removing Graphite (or Pencil) Stains from Clothing
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:57:05 PM on 10.0.1.225 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings