Getting Rid Of Bugs On Tomato Plant

I would like to know how to get rid of stink bugs and these red and black bugs on my tomato plants without using a lot of chemicals

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Karen from Pensacola, FL

You might want to try an insecticidal soap (usually approved for organic gardening) available and some major home improvement stores or local co-ops. Also, you can mix 1 part ivory dish soap with 3 parts water and spray directly onto the plant. I've heard this one from several gardener friends who swear by it for a quick-fix for bugs and a safer fix than heavier insecticides.

I agree an insecticidal soap is the only way to get rid of stink bugs but you have to spray it directly on the bug and keep spraying every time you see them. If you make your own soap solution make sure you are using soap and not detergent, detergents can damage or kill your plants.

The only red and black bugs that I get on my tomato plants are both mature and immature lady bugs, neither of which you want to kill. Please identify the immature ladybug before you kill them, since they look really different from the mature ladybug.

I am sure these are not lady bugs. They look like a immature version of the larger stink bugs only they are red and black.

Could be that your "bugs" are Harlequin Bugs....another <I>true bug</I> belonging to the same order as the stink bugs...Hemiptera? These suck sap from plant leaves like aphids or white fly leaving white and yellow blotches. If problem is severe enough plants can wilt and die.

Do they look like this?

http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/veg/leaf/harlequin_bug.htm

We have had stink bugs in our home for about 4 months and I cannot get rid of them in our house, curtains, carpets, etc, etc. It is winter here in the east, but they are still around.

Just thought I'd post a pix of the ladybug nymph because they look so different from the adults.

Organic Pest Control in the Garden
Organic Pest Control in the Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 3, 2008
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
🎉
🎄