Recipe for Banana Spread or Jam

I am looking for a recipe for a jam or spread to use up some ripe bananas. I have lots of banana bread and muffin recipes.
Thank you.

By Judy from Ontario, Canada

This is from an old book and I have not made it but the ones I have made are good.

Jamaica Banana Jam

1/4 cup fresh lime juice

31/2 cups diced bananas

21/4 cups sugar

1/2 cup water

Place lime juice in 1 quart measure and dice bananas into the juice. Stir with wooden spoon after dicing each banana to coat fruit with juice to keep from darkening.

Measure sugar and water into wide 21/2 quart saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar as you bring syrup to a boil. Cover tightly 1-2 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals on side of the pan.

Uncover, add bananas, and boil over low heat about 30 minutes, or until thick. Stir often to preven sticking espicially during last 10 minutes.

Jam is done when a spoon scraped across the bottom of the pan leaves a track that closes slowly and when jam mounds when stirred.

Spoon at once into hot, streilized jars and seal. Jelly glasses that require paraffin are not a good choice as it is difficult to smooth the surface enough to allow a secure paraffin seal. Makes about 4 cups.

As I said, I haven't made it so let me know if it is worth the trouble. SpookyCat

I tried a recipe almost exactly as Spooky cat described. It was delicious. One thing I did add was a dash of cinnamon. I am a cinnamon junkie and love it on anythng so I thought why not. It really was very good. didn't worry so much about using canning jars, it didn't last long enough. Just keep in the frig.

Spookycat

Oh yes this recipe is well worth making. I made two batches, one with cinnamon and one without. Both batches turn out very good. I did put in a tablespoon of butter to stop it from foaming. The bananas had been frozen and a bit ripe but still turned out perfect. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Judy

Food and Recipes Recipes Condiments Jam & JellyMarch 4, 2011
A slice of toast with grape jelly on it.
Grape Jam Recipes
Blackberry Jam Recipes, Jar of blackberry jam on a plate with fresh blackberries.
Blackberry Jam Recipes
A bowl of fig jam and some fresh figs.
Fig Jam Recipes
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread
🎉
🎄