Making Outdoor Decorative Flags For Christmas

Could anyone tell me if they have ever made those Outdoor Decorative Flags (28 inches x 40 inches)? Is there a kit, or where can you buy them cheap? I am looking for some for the upcoming holidays. Our craft stores don't carry the holiday ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Liz from Montana

I've never made decoratice flags to display, but I have made hundreds of show flags for band competitions. Check your area for a fabric store featuring flag material. My fabric of choice was usually China Silk. It is light and floaty, but you may want to check into a sturdier fabric.

Sketch out the pattern you want, or have a picture of one enlarged to the size needed. Cut our the paper pattern, pin it to your material and cut each piece about 3/4 to 1 inch larger than the pattern piece. This allows for a seam large enough to trim for a french seam.

Or if the back of the flag will not show, you could alway applique the design on to a flat piece of material cut to the desired size. Remember to add enough extra fablic for hems on three sides and about an extra 3 to 4 inches at the top for a rod pocket.

Hopes this helps.

Garden Flag
Making Garden Flags
Crafts Sewing How ToOctober 6, 2007
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Garden Flag
Using Garden Flags
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume