Food Storage Guide
I copied this food storage guide and keep it in my cookbook for reference.
- Baking powder: Store in airtight tins in a cool, dry place and replace every 6 months.
- Baking soda: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for about 6 months.
- Beans: Once a package is opened, dry beans should not be refrigerated but stored in an airtight container in a cold, dry, dark place. They will keep for about 1 year.
- Brown Sugar: Store in a tightly covered container for up to 4 months.
- Chocolate: Store chocolate for no longer than 1 year. It should be kept in a cool, dry place with a temperature range of 60 to 75F. If the storage temperature exceeds 75F some of the cocoa butter may separate and rise to the surface, causing a whitish color to the chocolate called "bloom".
- Dried Fruit: Store unopened packages of dried fruit in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. Store opened packages in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for 6 to 8 months.
- Flour: Store in a clean, tightly covered container for up to 1 year.
- Garlic: Should be stored in a dry, airy place away from light.
- Granulated sugar: Should be stored in a tightly covered container for up to two years.
- Nuts: For optimum freshness and shelf life, nuts should be stored, preferably unshelled, in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator or freezer and shelled as needed. (the shell and the cool temperature keep the nut from turning rancid.)
- Potatoes and other root vegetables: Keep in a dark, cool place, preferably a cellar. Store them in a dark brown paper bag.
- Shredded coconut: Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container. Don't store in the refrigerator.
- Yeast: Store in the freezer of refrigerator in a closed plastic bag.
By Paula from Christmas, MI
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Related Content(article continues below)
In This Article
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 16, 2017 at 1:34:17 PM on 10.0.2.240 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us