Food Storage Guide
I copied this food storage guide and keep it in my cookbook for reference.
- Baking powder: Store in airtight tins in a cool, dry place and replace every 6 months.
- Baking soda: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for about 6 months.
- Beans: Once a package is opened, dry beans should not be refrigerated but stored in an airtight container in a cold, dry, dark place. They will keep for about 1 year.
- Brown Sugar: Store in a tightly covered container for up to 4 months.
- Chocolate: Store chocolate for no longer than 1 year. It should be kept in a cool, dry place with a temperature range of 60 to 75F. If the storage temperature exceeds 75F some of the cocoa butter may separate and rise to the surface, causing a whitish color to the chocolate called "bloom".
- Dried Fruit: Store unopened packages of dried fruit in a cool, dry place or in the refrigerator. Store opened packages in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for 6 to 8 months.
- Flour: Store in a clean, tightly covered container for up to 1 year.
- Garlic: Should be stored in a dry, airy place away from light.
- Granulated sugar: Should be stored in a tightly covered container for up to two years.
- Nuts: For optimum freshness and shelf life, nuts should be stored, preferably unshelled, in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator or freezer and shelled as needed. (the shell and the cool temperature keep the nut from turning rancid.)
- Potatoes and other root vegetables: Keep in a dark, cool place, preferably a cellar. Store them in a dark brown paper bag.
- Shredded coconut: Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container. Don't store in the refrigerator.
- Yeast: Store in the freezer of refrigerator in a closed plastic bag.
By Paula from Christmas, MI
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 20, 2016 at 9:20:15 AM on 10.0.2.182 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us