Use Snow To Water Houseplants

Take advantage of snow to water houseplants! We have had an overabundance of snow this year. It dawned on me one evening that just outside my front door lay a wealth of totally free nutrients for my plants!

I went just outside the door with my coffee pot and a jumbo drink cup and scooped them both full of powdery snow! Then, I sat the coffee pot onto the burner plate of the coffee maker so it could melt and also warm a little bit before watering my plants with it, so they wouldn't chill or shock!

While there is still plenty of snow on the ground, I should do this enough times to fill a couple clean empty milk jugs for more free nutrient rich water later!

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

I save rain water for here in Southeast Tennessee we don't get alot of snow but do get rain so put some washed out milk jugs to the side and when it rains catch some in a bucket and store in the jugs for your houseplants. They will love you for it.

I just got an idea, what if I would put the snow in my plant and it would melt gradually in the plant. This way it melts slowly at room temperature. Let me know what you think about the idea.

I have heard that snow is the "por mans' fertilizer".I wouldn't put it right on the indoor plants as it lowers the temp of the soil.

I live in a state with lots of snow and have never heard of anyone doing that. How do you know it will benefit the plant? You could scoop it up, and let it melt at room temperature and wouldn't shock the plant. Maybe let it set a day before you use it?

This it's a great idea. You have my wheels spinning now. :-)

I also use the snow to fill up my hot tub when water level gets low. Since I have to clear a short path from our bedroom door. What better way of disposing it.

I would just set some inside in containers and let it melt from the room temperature. This way you are not using any power to warm the snow. Just will take longer.

I'm puzzled, nutrient-rich snow? I always thought if you caught or scooped up fresh-fallen snow, it would melt into just about the purest water you can find in nature.

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic, but how are there nutrients in snow?

Watering Houseplants
Watering Houseplants
Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalJanuary 20, 2010
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
How to Shovel Snow, Man Shoveling Snow
Shoveling Snow
Snow Ice Cream
Snow Ice Cream Recipes
🎄