Pour Off Oil From Bottled Salad Dressings

We've got a pal who's a nurse. She pours off the oil that gathers at the top of bottled Italian dressing, before using the rest on her salads. She says number 1, it's healthier for you, not clogging your arteries. Number 2, your salad will have more flavor. You won't be able to pour off all the oil, not to worry about that. Happy Healthier Eating!

By Terri H. from NV

Why not just buy the fat-free kind?

I thought that Italian dressing was MOSTLY oil? She should just switch to another kind or make her own unique dressing, or better yet, use a spritz of lemon instead of any of it? : )

I just make my own. I remember when I was young, no one bought ready-made dressings; everyone mixed their own vinegar and oil. This way I can add whatever spices I like. I often use lemon juice or tomato juice as a base--there are so many recipes out there. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and no one in my family is tired of it, and we eat salads at least once a day.

You could then replace the oil with water to "stretch" the dressing. RE: "why not just buy the light stuff?".....I often notice that it is the regular formulas and foods that are not as good for you that will be on sale at the deepest discount. Notice how ice cream may be on sale but the lower carb version of the same brand is excluded?

That oil could be saved and used for coating the grill when grilling outside or as a flavored oil in other recipes.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Healthy EatingJuly 16, 2007
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
Bottled Water
Saving Money on Bottled Water