What is Cutting Down My Squash Plants?

What could be cutting down my blooming squash plants?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By Mary from Wadesboro, NC

Squash Vine Borers, they destroy most of my crop each year. I always plant extra plants, knowing that they will get most of them. Sevin is supposed to kill them, but since they eat the plant stems from the inside, I haven't found Sevin to be much help. Sorry!

Believe it or not, gophers. Or local rabbits. We have laid out packages of rat poison, my husband stood by the garden watching them jump into the milk jug containers where he put the poison. He filled them up again. They dove back in. It takes up to 10 days before it works. Well, a week later, they found a pile of dead gophers to dispose of. They went right into the buckets put around the plants, etc watched them eat the bottom root systems off, some snapped the tops off before they got too big. I replanted and replanted. The greenhouse told me to take their end stock for free, since I had been there replacing what we had seeded and replanted. 40 plants worth. Will see what happens now. Our big item garden is 5 miles from our house.

We had been doing squirrels and rabbits here. Got the live trap out, got a few. The non live trap also got some. Ravaged right through my plantings--all off the ground in container gardens too. All the neighbors have been having problems after problems. The 'word' is rabbits going for 4 batches this year rather than the 3. Oh my goodness!

I do not put chemicals on my produce in the gardens.

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesMay 29, 2010
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
summer squash
Drying Squash
🎄