Activities for Someone With Parkinson's Disease

My 80 year old father has been diagnosed with Parkinson's, is confined to a walker, and feels as though he has no purpose in life. I'd like to find some sort of table-top hobby that he could do, for example building wooden toys for kids in a homeless shelter, something that would give him a sense of self-worth. Any suggestions as to where I could buy kits for something like this?

By Leslie from Louisville, KY

There are lots of wonderful ideas in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

If your dad would enjoy assembling toys, by all means check your local craft shops for kits. However, unless pieces are large and the kits relatively simple, this might be a bit difficult for a Parkinson's patient.

You might check with your local Goodwill-Easter seals. They generally have programs and workshops for people with all types of challenges. They can assess your dad's ability level and match him with the right services. God bless you and him.

I saw some wooden 3-D kits, owls, eagles, comic monsters etc. At Harbor Freight. I don't know if this is a national chain of stores or if there is one near you. Hope it helps. GG VI

Try R.O.S. Play Therapy. It was made by a guy who was looking for something for his dad who also has parkinson's. He couldn't find anything, so he made it. bunch of different activity boards that slide in and out so you can choose the one you think will work.

I am with Scott on this one. I care for a gentleman with Parkinson's and we use the ROS system everyday.

April 16, 2010 Flag

My father is a victim of Parkinson's Disease, and recently his condition has taken a turn for the worse. He is now unable to go to work or do any of the active things that he used to love to do. My mom has a full time job so my dad has to sit at home all day bored with nothing to do. Any suggestions on things to keep my father's mind engaged and to give him something fun to do?

Here's a little more information on my father. He does not really have very many hobbies. He was a man who loved work, being active (swimming, running, etc.), and coaching his kids (we are all moved out of the house now). The thing is that these are all things that my father cannot do anymore. Thank you very much.

By Jake from OH

Answers:

This is hard for me. Female and lazy, a book reader. But can you find some chair-bound active games that he can acquire some skills at. He wouldn't be competing against anyone other than himself, and with Parkinson's, the first step might be to deal with the shakes, though I've read that sometimes the shakes go away temporarily with concentration. I'm talking about seated golf, or horseshoes, or that sort of thing. Talk to the physical therapist at your local hospital or VA Center, or county ADA office (they may be able to refer you to an expert). They will have dealt with this before. Good luck. An unhappy and depressed person has little quality in his/her life. (08/13/2009)

By tennesue

I don't know if this would help or not, but does he have a laptop computer? My husband is in a similar situation due to other health problems. He used to be a workaholic, but has had heart attack, cancer, and now diabetes. So he is physically not able to do anything he used to love. He spends hours a day reading newspapers from around the world, and he belongs to some blogs that keep him busy and engaged. I'm sure there are some blogs out there that are of an interest your dad may have. I hope this helps. Without this, I think my husband would go crazy.(08/14/2009)

By starlight

How about giving him family photos that are in boxes and ask him to organize them into albums? It is a real need plus he would enjoy the memories. (08/14/2009)

By spoostad

I hope this link will be helpful to you:

michaeljfox.org (08/14/2009)

By Deeli

Try going to a craft store and getting him some cheap easy crafts to make. I would suggest some puzzles, but this depends on how much shaking he does. (08/14/2009)

By rosbucs

Does your town have a senior center that provides transportation? Many do. He could go for lunch and activities that they have. This is usually free or very cheap. (08/15/2009)

By lindal

My husband and I used to camp out and hike in the Arizona mountains. We also coached Special Olympics. He, too, is pretty much confined to the house now with Parkinson's. He has started doing genealogy research on the internet. He also loves military aircraft, so he does some history research on airplanes. He also gets into the public broadcasting websites and finds all kinds of videos about nature, history and geology in each state. He watches the videos to take a virtual trip since he can't do the actual hiking. Find some subject your dad would be interested in and get him on the internet. My husband is down to typing with two fingers now, but he loves researching things. Good luck, I know how hard it is. (08/17/2009)

By DiJones

Man With Parkinson's Disease
Health & Beauty AdviceApril 16, 2010
Spraying a rose bush.
Treating Roses With Witch's Broom Disease
Helping Someone With Alzheimer's
Helping a Loved One with Alzheimer's
Houseplants
Treating Fungal Disease on Houseplants
Homemade Dog Food
Homemade Food for Dog with Kidney Disease
🎉
🎄