Browsing: Scrapbooking Tips and Tricks

Saving Family Keepsakes for Scrapbooking

Rachel Paxton

I'm new to scrapbooking, and I still can't believe all the possibilities there are for scrapbook layouts.

When I first began I pulled out and organized a lot of my daughter's childhood photos. Also collecting dust on my closet shelf was a box of other family keepsakes I'd kept throughout the years.

For example, when we went to Disney World, in addition to all the pictures we had taken, I kept the plane tickets, the cards you get to open your hotel door, meal vouchers, luggage tags, post cards, and theme park passes. These will make a fun addition to our Disney World-themed scrapbook pages.

For school, there are a number of things you can keep. Certificates, award ribbons, and report cards are just a couple of ideas. You can also break this category down into smaller ones, like school sports, plays, band, etc. I've kept all of the programs from my daughter's school plays, which will make a great addition to the pictures I have of her "in character."

Other keepsakes might include handmade cards or little notes your child might have left you from time to time. These memories are priceless, and could never be re-created even if you tried. Keeping these treasures in a family scrapbook will ensure the memories are preserved.

For holiday memories, you might have childhood Christmas wish lists, family letters, holiday cards, party invitations, or favorite family holiday recipes. I even keep thank-you cards I have received.

Looking through my box I also found some other types of family memories that would also make great themed scrapbook pages. Wedding announcements, funeral programs, and graduation announcements are a great complement to your family photographs.

Hopefully these ideas will get you thinking of things you might have tucked away somewhere that would be a great addition to your scrapbooking projects. If not, it's never too late to start.

About The Author: Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer, mom, and owner of four home and family web sites. For scrapbooking, card making, gift-giving ideas, and more family memory-making activities, visit http://www.crafty-moms.com

Hello, Rachel,

Welcome to the Wonder World of Scrapbooking. I am a scrapbook designer and store owner. I have been scrapbooking for over 20 years and I am very glad that the industry has grown this much within a short time. It is all we really leave behind "memories". This can be overwhelming, but remember just use the best pictures in your scrapbook and journal. We are currently teaching scrapbooking classes at Florida International University and see how one day it can be incorporated as a credit course. There are many elements that are involved when making your pages. Photography, journalling, order of events, techniques and mixed media (paints, chalk etc.) I wish you luck!!

Scarpbooking Supplies
Scrapbooking Tips and Tricks
Crafts Paper ScrapbookingJanuary 5, 2005
Orange kitten photos scrapbooked on a page
Scrapbooking Craft Ideas
Organized Photos in Box
Organizing Keepsakes and Memorabilia
Various scrapbook supplies.
Scrapbooking Recipes
Scrapbooking papers, embellishments, and scissors.
Saving Money on Scrapbooking
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:52:49 AM on 10.0.0.107 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.