Jack-O'-Lantern Pot Pie

Puts a smile on my kid's face!

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • Ad
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 (15 oz.) package refrigerated pie crust
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard
  • 3 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese or other cheese of choice
  • 2 Tbsp. water
  • 1 large egg
  • red and yellow liquid food coloring

Cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir until beef is cooked through and crumbly. Stir in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce; cool.

Unfold 1 pie crust and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Spread mustard evenly over crust.

Stir 2 cups of cheese into meat mixture and spoon onto the center of the crust, leaving a 2 inch border around the edge.

Unfold the remaining pie crust and cut a jack-o-lantern face into it. Place the cut out crust on top of the meat mixture. Crimp all edges of the crust to seal. Using cut out pieces of crust, create a "stem" for the top of the pumpkin.

Whisk together 2 tablespoons of water, egg, and 1 drop of red and yellow food coloring; brush over the entire crust. Bake at 425 degrees F for 20 minutes, remove from oven, and brush again with the egg mixture.

Fill eyes, nose and mouth with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5-10 more minutes or until golden brown.

Servings: 4-6
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

By JodiT

What an adorable idea! I'd love to see a picture. :)

After reading this tip, I tried the jack-o'-lantern idea with my chicken pot pie recipe. Here's a picture so you can get an idea of what it looks like. It was even more adorable in person. I forgot to do the second egg wash when adding the cheese, so it wasn't as orange as it probably would have been had I remembered. By the way, it was, indeed, a big hit with the kids and definitely something I'll make again next year. :)

Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Halloween DinnersOctober 5, 2010
Turkey Pot Pie
Turkey Pot Pie Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Jack Sparrow Costume
pecan pie
Freezing Pecan Pie
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap