Questions about Tramadol

I have fibromyalgia and the doctor has put me on new medication. Does anybody out there take Tramadol? It is friday night and I will talk to a doctor tomorrow but not the same doctor that prescribed it. I have some questions about it. I need something for pain but I am kinda nervous to continue taking it. It will take about 7 days for this to kick in. I have 2 days on the weekend and wanted to start it. Does anyone out there taking Tramadol have any advice about it?

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

I WAS PUT ON IT FOR PAIN AND GOT VERY SICK ON IT. IT DID NOT AGREE WITH ME YOU MUST TAKE WITH A LOT OF FOOD. TRY IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS FOR YOU GREAT. MY DEAR GIRL FRIEND USES WHITE WILLOW BARK IT IS ALL NATURAL. I ASKED MY HEART DR AND IT DOES AGREE WITH THE MEDS I AM ON. ASK YOUR DR IF YOU CAN TAKE IT, YOU STEAM IT LIKE TEA AND ADD HONEY IT IS ALL NATURAL. I AM GOING TO TRY THIS FOR MY PAIN INSTEAD OF MEDICATION THAT HAS SIDE EFFECTS. GET IT AT A HEALTH FOOD STORE THEY WILL TELL YOU HOW TO TAKE IT MY GIRLFRIEND HAS WHAT YOU HAVE AND IS IN A LOT OF PAIN.

I don't have any personal experience with this drug. I hope someone will reply who does. Meanwhile.....have you done research online on this drug? You can go to http://www.MedicineNet.com or http://www.MayoClinic.com or several other sites and read information about the drug. This may help you make an informed decision. I always research any new drug prescribed to me before I take it too. Best Wishes!

Your best resource for questions is your pharmacist that filled the prescription. I ask my pharmacist alot of questions.

sandy,

i am a pharmacy tech in a large mail order pharmacy and i am working on my pharmacy degree so i definitely feel i could help you with any medication concerns. i also have fibromyalgia and in addition systemic lupus as well and was prescribed tramadol. please post specific questions that i could answer for you. my email is sweet_madeline1 @ hotmail.com if you want to write me there. sincerely, kate

I have fibro as well as ankylosing spondylitis, another rhuematoid disease. Just last nite I read a very unfavorable piece of info about tramadol written by a rheumatologist. I do not have a scanner but I could fax it or snail mail to you. Linda / twodogsmom at juno dot com

I have taken Tramadol for the last 2 years. I take as many as 8 per day as well as Celebrex for arthritis and 2 failed back surgeries. It is an effective drug and I have no side effects except for afternoon sleepiness.

I have been on this medication for close to ten years now for lower back pain and arthritis...I will not take anything else. I feel it's one of the best out there.

I have been on tramadol for about a year and I am getting a lot of relief from it. I have 4 ruptured disc in my back and a lot of other problems I had polio in 1947 and the problems are back so I am in a lot of pain24/7 and tramadol is really helped I am now working a 40 hour week at 66yrs old that pretty good. I can take it on a empty stomach and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I have Fibromyalgia and my Dr. has put me on

Gabapentin 300 mg. caps. I take also take 1 tramadol in the AM and PM. The Gabapentin have very little side affects and doesn't hurt your tummy,

liver, or heart. You can take several AM and PM for

the pain and it won't hurt you. If you are allergic

to asprin, you should not take anything with willow

bark in it. Try checking out the Gabapentin, as it has

been used in GA by several Rheumatory Drs. Best of luck.

I've taken Ultram (Tramadol) for severe lower back pain, and it works well. I don't think it takes eight days to kick in. It's a mixture of aspirin and something from the codene family. I know if you take it with Zoloft you can get seizures. It's a good safe medicine that is non-addictive.

I take it regularly for restless leg syndrome. Also it can cause seizures if taken with Prozac.

Tramadol has alot of side effects. Be careful with it. It also is hard to stop. Yes they say you do not become dependant on it, but YOU WILL. I am currently having a battle getting off oxycodone for fibro pain. It works for the pain, but it also adds to my depression and has other side effects that were not apparent at first. I have only been using it since April of 2005. It is so addicting. Val

There are many fibromyalgia-related websites out there with chat rooms and message boards. My absolute favorite is immunesupport.com. On the home page, click on Message Boards and go to the board for Fibro. (you'll have to register first, which is not a big deal). AFter you're there, you can search by category, such as "Tramadol" and any postings about that topic will come up. Usually pages and pages. It's a great site for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome.

Other than than, just Google it. (Tramadol, I mean). You'll be able to review the pros and the cons.

Good luck

Donna M.

I also have fibro and was prescribed this. It made me very nauseous and sick feeling.

I have been taking Tramadol for several months and have been feeling a lot better. I also take Lexapro and Diclofenac with the Tramadol and the combination seems to give me quite a bit of pain relief. Before I started this treatment from a pain specialist, I suffered greatly with pain all the time. Now I can work and get through the day much easier than before.

I have had it prescribed for pain for myself and my best girlfriend has had to use it as well. Both of us found it very addicting AND it did not work for the pain. It just made us not care much about anything. We both stopped taking it for different reasons.

In my case, I have fibromyalgia and what has helped me the most is LYRICA. It's expensive but for me it really works well.

Discuss it with your doctor, make sure she or he knows what other meds you are on...INCLUDING over the counter meds. My vote for Ultram/Tramadol is a big fat NO! Everybody is different. Just my $.02 (two cent's) worth.

I really feel for you. Just another note, when I got through menopause my fibro has become easier to live with. I hope that helps you. If that does or does not, here's a big hug and a back rubby, rub. for you.

I find if someone gently goes in circles with their open hand - especially on my upper back, very lightly it really relaxes me. It seems like the pain starts in that spot for me.

I don't have experience with Tramadol for fibromyalgia. However, I took it for several months prior to and during recovery from a hip replacement. It's not as effective a pain reliever as some of the stronger narcotics such as Oxycontin. But I found it agreed with me and didn't have severe side effects, other than the brain fog that can be expected with routine use of any narcotic.

The post above which says it's a mixture of aspirin and codeine is just plain incorrect. It's a narcotic combined with a serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), so it likely will have some beneficial effect on mood in addition to the pain relief. I think this aided my recovery from surgery in that I was in a more positive frame of mind.

Studies have shown it's not as habit-forming as some narcotics, but make no mistake, over time you will build up a tolerance and very possibly become dependent. That may well be worth the benefits, though--only you and your doctor can decide.

I have Lupus and have found and neck and back fractures. I have found that 800 mg of motrin really does the trick ( the 200mg over the counter dose is a joke for me)I only have to take narcotics for breakthrough pain about once every 2 months. Tramadol is mild and does not work as well for me as the motrin but is non addictive . With a chronic autoimmune disorder I want to avoid narcotics. It is too easy to get addicted. because I dont abuse it I get a script for 30 dilaudid a year that I use when the old motrin will not take care of it also look into biofeedback for pain relief as well.

Anna

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 29, 2005
Couple getting SSI help.
Finding a Good Social Security Attorney
Pear Tree
Caring for a Pear Tree
Hoover Platinum Carpet Shampooer
Using a Hoover Platinum Collection Carpet Shampooer
tomatoes
Answers to Seldom Asked Gardening Questions
🎄