Beverages for the Christmas Cactus

I have a 55+ year old Christmas Cactus that I got after my grandmother's death. It didn't do very well and didn't grow much and I was about to throw it away; then, I remembered seeing my grandmother pour whatever she was drinking on the cactus, (tea, coffee). I started giving the cactus a cup of coffee once a week and it has just exploded! It blooms twice a year and has grown by leaps and bounds. Try coffee!

By Liz from Birmingham, AL

Editor's Note: This works really well but make sure it is has no sugar or cream in it.

That has worked well for me for years, too. I have a large size cactus with beautiful huge "fluffy" flute shaped flowers that everyone raves about. Coffee is the secret.

Thanks for this tip. I have several in different colors and they bloom beautifully once a year. Perhaps by using your tip I can get another bloom out of them! This also worked really well in a terrarium we had at work. It made the asparagus fern grow up out of the terrarium! Go coffee!

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try it. I have a Christmas Cactus that was my moms. She always was able to make it bloom. But in the last 9 years since she's been gone, it has only bloomed once and then only had about 3 blossoms. The greenery is very healty but thin. Hope the coffee gives it the boost it needs.

I too have the same problem. I am wondering if you take milk in your coffee, as I do. I am curious if the milk would harm or benefit the cactus? Also I am house sitting a Christmas Cactus for a friend, and the leaves have turned red. Is it getting sun burnt perhaps? thanks

You just made me stop and think of my Grandmother.She used to do the same thing.I miss her she was alot of fun!!Thank's for the reminder darlene

I was wondering if this would also work for other plants of the same type. Like Jade plant, regular cactus, and maybe sedums? I also have a Christmas cactus that was my Mom's. I will try the coffee in it. Thanks for the tip!

I feed all my plants with my brewed coffee grinds. I fill a container(usually a weeks worth of coffee grinds) and apply to plants in the gardens and house plants too. I live in CA with a dry hot climate and I find it helps to enrich the dry cracking soil. I have found that Coffee grinds work well for roses too.

Happy gardening!

Jennifer CA

Thanks for the tip. I'm assuming you mean Black Coffee. If not, please let us all know. I have 2 Christmas Cactus' that I also took clippings from & put in other pots. They are alive - but still small & outside for the Summer. In Sept. I put in a dark place for 8-10 weeks & take out & fertilize w/Cactus Food & wait for Blooms around Nov-Dec. These are supposed to bloom twice a year, but so far no Blooms in Spring or Summer this year. Hopefully at The Holidays I'll have some Blooms. I just got them last Christmas. 1 White & 1 Fuchsia. Wish me luck!

Hi my name is Joan, and I love my Christmas cactus plants enven though they haven't bloomed in at least three years, and I'm so frustrated. I just had great success with a amaryliss bulb pre boxed with soil and it's pot and of corse it's blooming beautifuly and I did nothing to it. My cactus plants are my love.

I'm so happy I came accross this site. Regarding the coffee beans, my father always had my mom save each days coffee grounds and he would put them around his baby trees outside, and boy did they grow. Never tried them inside, but I'm going to.

A question regading the coffee-was the coffee (liguid-not ground) substituted for water? Or just used as a treat because I don't want to over water or in this cause over coffee (smiles) can I use the coffee and the grounds?

I'm going to start first thing tomorrow. Thanks to all of you and I will let you know my progress. Merry Christmas and belated Happy Chanukah, Joan

Obviously that works but what really works is rhododendron plant food. It is not expensive and it take so little (one forth teaspoon to a gallon water) that a small box lasts forever. It really makes the difference and the cactus will burst with blooms.

I have half a cup of tea on my desk right now. I tend to neglect the Christmas Cactus when I am not watering the rest of the garden in the summer/fall. I will go give it a drink of tea right now, and send you this pic. Blooms right on time, every year. Location location location. :)

This is a very old post but still good information.

Several asked about coffee with cream or sugar. "My" master gardener says to never give plants cream or milk products so I go with him on that.

Do you use room temperature coffee or cold coffee on the cactus?

Coffee grinds and crunched egg shells. This was my moms watering seceret. She could grow anything, people would bring her their plants that were just about dead and maybe about 4 weeks later she would give them back so BEAUTIFUL. I have many plants too. Thank you mom for leaving me your talent. I miss you so so much

Pink Christmas Cactus
Getting a Christmas Cactus to Bloom
Home and Garden Gardening FertilizerApril 28, 2008
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Christmas Cactus in bloom
Caring for a Christmas Cactus
Christmas Cactus
Starting a Christmas Cactus from Cuttings
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume