Growing Green Onions

When buying and using store bought green onions, get more than one use out of them. Carefully cut all the green tops then stick the rest of the onion, roots and all in small pot of dirt. Place on a sunny windowsill, water, and before you know it, you will have green onions again. Works like a charm!

By morbetomommy from Topeka, KS

I've been doing this for years! I plant them in my garden, and i just discovered that if you use some miracle grow on them they grow like crazy!

Been there done that. Excellent idea, gave ya the thumbs up.

Miracle grow is cool but not organic, a couple compost bins are cooler. Just sayin'.

Wonderful idea, especially for single people who find a "bunch" of onions is too many. Only today I was told to chop and freeze extra tops for soups.

I keep onions banded,then snip off tops to just above the white part. put in clear glass of water about half way to top of onion. few days you will notice new growth. Just snip off and use or freeze pieces in snack size bag,and save till needed. I have scallions whenever I need them. Keep snipping till finally you need to replace with new scallion bottoms.

Growing Green Onions
Growing Green Onions
Home and Garden Gardening GrowingMarch 11, 2011
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Photo of an onion harvest.
Harvesting Onions