What Do You Splurge On?

I would like to know what others on this board do or buy that they consider to be a "splurge". My weakness is for Diet Dr. Pepper. I love this stuff and have to have it in the house or I feel "deprived". What do others treat themselves to?

JONNIE from Owensboro, KY

Chocolate cream puffs from the pastry shop!

Lanie M

Real ketchup (Heinz) and mustard. Vitamins that taste good (I have to have chewables due to my RNY). Fruit when it's in season, strawberries, raspberries etc (we live in CA, so it's cheaper). Fun new things at Trader Joe's (not really a splurge at their prices). Fair Trade coffee BEANS from Costco, then a nice grinder so I can have FRESH coffee (once you do it yourself, you'll think the Folgers in a can is made out of mud).

I'd say that my biggest "splurge" was a $99 purse at TJ Maxx, it was orginally $250, that was HUGE for me!!!!!! I am not a "thing" person, but taste is worth the extra money.

Dunkin donuts. Pam O in RI

Lately I've splurged on a medium sized iced coffee from McDonald's. It is so yummy! It comes in 3 flavors, vanilla hazelnut and regular. I've only tried the regular. The med is quite large and costs $1.69 which I think is really worth it. I just had one today and really enjoyed it.

8:00 coffee made extra strong, ground in my blender fresh made with non electric miletta drip using every 8:00 coupon I can.

Nike tennis shoes, I'm a diabetic with nuropothy and need good safe shoes.

My husband and I eat in at work Mon-Thurs. On Friday we eat out at least two meals.

Bath & Body Works Pearberry body lotion...I just haven't been able to find a thrifty version yet!

My downfall is strawberries. At $1.99 at Aldi's, I'll still buy them. When I really want to splurge, Breyer's Ice Cream (Natural Vanilla).

Diet Dr. Pepper (I swear its like crack), coffee from White Hen on Wednesdays, a new beanie baby a month and two new skeins of yarn per month to knit with.

A pedicure every 3 months and every 2 months in summer...it is relaxing!

Love the iced hazelnut at MacDonalds and I make my own now as it was too far to go for just one coffee.

Like you I have a weakness for pop but I like Coke or Pepsi and also have to have it it the house. Chocolate is my other weakness but I try not to keep it around too much.

Cafe Nero is my most expensive splurge at the moment at £3 for a caramelatte. Otherwise chocolate (£16 every 2 months http://www.chocs.com) or else I look for real cheap splurges day before giro (welfare check) day.

Books! Can't live without them. I buy them used or swap with friends, to keep the price down, otherwise I would be working just to pay for them!

100% natural Japanese green tea. It's the only thing that reduces my cellulite noticeably! I buy maeda-en sen-cha Fukamushi at my local Japanese market. Also can buy at http://www.maeda-en.com. The secret is drink the tea with no sweenter or cream. Just tea leaves brewed in hot water!

Dove Shampoo and Conditioner, and good shoes as I'm prone to blisters.

100% pure maple syrup, I will never go back to the 2% maple flavoring stuff again. It is pricey but definitely worth the price. Trader Joe's has it for a good price though, I just wish we lived closer. We also love to take the family to the drive in theater, the kids have a blast.

when I splurge I make sure it's only on something I can KEEP. I save and make sure the splurge is for a big item like my hallway table, a beautiful antique. hey you book lovers, have you discovered Amazon or Barnes and Noble USED? the very book you want, with barely visible corner rubs, for like under 50 cents? My mailbox gets stuffed with them regularly! Happy frugal fun - K

I am pretty frugal, however, I do splurge on my nails, and occasional microdermabrasion in the winter. I feel the investment in "me" keeps me happy.

Also, I am a runner and I have absolutely no qualms about paying whatever I need to for good running shoes.

PEOPLE magazine. Then when I'm done I pass it on to my Mom who in return will pass it on to my sister, who gives it to her daughter................you see where I'm going with this :)

diet coke but it has to be from a " fountain" like what you get at fast food resterants. I try not to eat out on week days but I do every weekend. I love magazines!!!! I have hundreds some as old as 1970. I was surprised people said they splurge on fresh fruit. Fruit is good for you and a lot cheaper then chips and cookies.

i love spending on second hand items at garage sales or thrift stores...i make crafts...and love to use

the things that i buy from these places....

splurge...i feel like i am getting a real deall...

the pop is a great feeling...when it makes u feel happy but be careful of the sugar

regards

DUNKIN DONUTS...YUMMY FOR THE TUMMY. I also go to the hairdressers twice a week.

I read through all of the splurges and was surprised that no one splurges on fabric!! I guess I'm strange LOL I also love ice cream and Sonic's steak burrito minus the green peppers.

A few dollars ahead--I love to make a trip to Dollar Tree Stores.Just cause I feel I've struck a gold mine coming out with a couple of sacks of things I'd ordinarily pay at least twice as much for.On occasion I go to Garden Ridge and check out the damaged merchandise rack.I've found some really great things there.Also I can hardly pass a yard sale if I'm in the mood to splurge.Like another person said I like to splurge on remnant material,Never know when you'll be able to use it.

Beads! I have many but still can always find some I don't have. I use to do a lot of beadwork but rarely have the time now. Still they are hard for me to resist.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Susan is my mom. She used to say to us that "Beads were money, before money was money!" We certainly had more beads than money growing up. That made us rich, right!

My weakness is Starbucks and books. I go to the library and buy used but there is something wonderful about buying a new book: uncreased spine, crisp pages, bright cover. I especially like collections of short stories.

I have always splurged on wardrobe items - costume jewelry - scarves, etc. - & pick them up whenever I see a real bargain, even if I have to scrimp elsewhere....

COFFEE!!! I go to a local coffee shop that roast their own,OMG!!! it is wonderful, I buy it by the half pound and have cut my coffee consumption from a pot a day to 2 cups, but it is worth it. It is 6.00 for a half a pound. I also make sure my kids have GOOD SHOES not cheap ones as I grew up with cheap ones and now have alot of problems with my feet. they can wear thrift store jeans, but not shoes.

My Splurges are several, but mainly romances by Betty Neels.

I just love her stories and am collecting them. Oh and Lakritz, unfortunately I am not sure, if the correct english word is liquorice? It isn't alcohol, it is a sweet. Hard to resist. But I just got a big bag of it as a present.

June 14, 2007 Flag

I know we are all frugal, but what is the one thing in life you splurge on?

Tedebear from San Jose CA

Answers:

What Do You Splurge On?

Starbucks Frappuccinos! (07/18/2006)

What Do You Splurge On?

Good, soft toilet paper and organic produce when I can. (07/19/2006)

By BlissMama

What Do You Splurge On?

Good chocolate - it's not worth buying the cheaper kind so I buy only the kind I really like. This keeps me from eating too much of it and wasting money too. (07/19/2006)

By threegetts

What Do You Splurge On?

Ice cream! I have a big bowl almost every evening. I'm underweight, and my doctor says it's OK to indulge because at age 76 I'm in good health, so maybe I'm entitled. Still, it seems a bit extravagant. (07/19/2006)

By Beth

What Do You Splurge On?

Edy's ice cream! It costs more but it is sooo good! (07/19/2006)

By hugmehugs

What Do You Splurge On?

Chocolate chip rice cakes. (07/19/2006)

By Jean from MI

What Do You Splurge On?

Lambchops! I cannot resist an occasional splurge on them. (07/20/2006)

By woofey

What Do You Splurge On?

Books. I know I could borrow them from the library but there is something about being able to go to the shelf next to the bed and find an old friend to "listen" to.
(07/20/2006)

By Carla Bledsoe

What Do You Splurge On?

Jif peanut butter. (07/20/2006)

By Cindy S.

What Do You Splurge On?

Daily dose of Dunkin Donuts coffee. (07/20/2006)

By fara

What Do You Splurge On?

Good jeans and shoes. (07/20/2006)

By Miss Jen

What Do You Splurge On?

Travel! It does wonders for my depression. And I use PRICELINE... but only if it's an excellent deal or I'll stay home. (07/20/2006)

By maryc

What Do You Splurge On?

Books, books and more books. Love em. (07/20/2006)

By lazisuzi

What Do You Splurge On?

Sonic Slushes, watermelon, grape, cherry yummm! Though I do try to buy them throughout the week between 3 and 5 so they are half price. But will buy them anyway even if there not cheaper. (07/20/2006)

By micksgirl

What Do You Splurge On?

Dawn dish soap and Sun Silk shampoo/conditioner. Tried "cheaper" brands, they don't work. (07/21/2006)

By jmz2005

What Do You Splurge On?

We should ALL get together. I am a "healthy" bowl ice cream eater also, every night. I also drink coffee all day long, then when it gets dark, for some reason, I have to have my "healthy" bowl of ice cream. By the way, healthy at my house means a super huge serving. (07/21/2006)

By Jean in GA

What Do You Splurge On?

Manicures/pedicures and craft items-lately it's scrapbooking embellishments and yarn (07/21/2006)

By Diana

What Do You Splurge On?

Tazo Tea (07/21/2006)

By Connie from Canada

What Do You Splurge On?

PANTENE CONDTIONER. I DON'T MIND USING A CHEAPER SHAMPOO BUT A GOOD CONDITONER IS IMPORTANT TO ME (07/21/2006)

By SARA

What Do You Splurge On?

Good quality bras. Makes all the difference to your comfort and appearance. (07/21/2006)

By Julia

What Do You Splurge On?

Pizza hut pizza. (07/21/2006)

By teddygirl

What Do You Splurge On?

Organic milk, eggs, juice and flowers for the yard. (07/23/2006)

By Angellface

What Do You Splurge On?

Once a month or two, a good Pizza. (07/23/2006)

What Do You Splurge On?

For comfort: shoes, bras and hand lotion. For pleasure: books, teddy bears and antiques. (07/24/2006)

By Carol Churchill

What Do You Splurge On?

Good Coffee, Good Ice Cream, and very soft toilet paper.

Though when it comes to the rest of our life I think that we live better than anyone else. (09/29/2006)

By domesticprincess

What Do You Splurge On?

Good brands of dark chocolate, like Lindt and Dove. Jeans, shoes, and bras that fit well. Pepperidge Farm bread (more expensive, but better). Fresh fruit. Well-made handbags. And, of course, books. (09/29/2006)

By SusannL

Better Living Frugal LivingJune 14, 2007
Closeup of HDMI Cable
Saving Money on HDMI Cables
A sewing machine foot with pink thread sewing pink fabric.
Learning How to Sew
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Packing a Suitcase, Suitcase Ready for Travel
Packing a Suitcase
🎄