Using The Dishwasher For Household Cleaning

Use the dishwasher to wash baseball caps. Place caps on the top rack and wash them without losing their shape. Don't use your dishwasher's heat drying option. Allow caps to air dry. Caps can also be washed in a top loading machine.

You can also wash insulated lunch bags in the dishwasher, on the top rack. Plastic pet or children's toys can be washed on the regular dish cycle.

The dishwasher can also be used to wash miscellaneous household items like glass light fixture covers, shower heads, or appliance parts, such as stove grates, burner covers, or your microwave tray. Also clean metal screen from the vent over the stove in the dishwasher.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I washed the grates from my heating outlets in the dishwasher. they were gross and looked like new after washing.

Fridge glass shelves! (In addition to many of the items listed on other postings, too.). Dirty tea kettle goes in upside down.

March 29, 2011 Flag

Your automatic dishwasher can make your household chores much easier. There are many things besides dishes that can be washed in the dishwasher, such as glass light globes. The ones that are on many bathroom or dining room light fixtures wash very nicely in the dishwasher. Just place them in the top rack along with your usual dishes and run the usual cycle. The globes come out sparkling clean - free of any dust or buildup.

The kitchen sink stopper/strainer, scrub brush or sponge will clean very nicely in your dishwasher. Just place them in the top rack and wash with the usual dishes. Use a clothespin on the sponge and attach it to one of the prongs of the rack to keep it from bouncing around. The items will come out clean and sanitized.

By Laura from Elberta, AL

By craftyflamingo 12/01/2010

I put my Birkenstock (plastic ones, liners removed) and crocs in the dishwasher, no heat water and no heat dry.

By organica323 07/15/2010

I'm not so sure about ever washing an electronic item in a dishwasher. My dishwasher water is so hot, it would melt the keyboard for sure! I'd have to see this work for someone in person before I'd ever consider doing it. One more thing, I would never wash anything I put in my mouth to brush my teeth with in a dishwasher. It's just too risky for me. Germs are amuck!

By mommabruv 01/31/2010

I also wash the extractor fan covers from the kitchen and 4 bathrooms/toilets, the plastic cutlery drawer inserts, the fridge door inserts - shelves, egg racks etc, plastic/rubber dog toys, glass light shades, soap dishes from the bathrooms.

I also run an empty load once a week to use the dishwasher to wash itself, LOL! Hairbrushes go in the washing machines (in laundry bags to stop them snagging other things) same with dog leads and non-leather collars.

By grandma jo 01/31/2010

I used to put the lid to my tall kitchen trash can in the dishwasher. It was flat and fit perfect. I am thinking about buying a new one like it because my current one (roll top) is hard to clean. My sister-in-law was there one time as I pulled it out and was amazed.

By justhelpingout (Guest Post)

It's a great way to sterilize toothbrushes. I was having an epidemic of strep throat in my house and it was quite expensive to keep buying new toothbrushes so I was told to sterilize them. I tried boiling water on the stove, but it made the bristles fall off the head so I had the idea that the dishwasher is a great sterilizer and it works. I often will do that just to clean them even though we have since gotten rid of the strep throat.

By BridgetOFlynn 10/03/2008

I use vinyl baby bibs and I wash the vinyl high chair pads and bibs in the dishwasher, I also wash my dish strainer, microwave parts and toys in there.

By cett 09/09/2008

When I had a dishwasher, I found it invaluable to wash my son's (then a toddler) plastic toys such as trucks, cups, lego things, etc. that he took into the garden and put God knows where! Just make sure there are no loose parts. If there are, just unscrew them and put them in the cutlery box so you don't lose them.

By Jess (Guest Post)

I spilled a soda into my computer keyboard once. My husband, an IT specialist, told me unplug it from my computer, and wash it in the dishwasher. Believe it or not, this really works! My keyboard came out clean, and the keys don't stick, as the wash cycle got out all the sticky mess. Saved me a few bucks. One note, turn off the dry cycle, and let the keyboard dry out key down on a dry dishtowel. Once dry, plug back in!

By Journeyofalifetime 06/14/2006

I have used my dishwasher for my light covers (glass globes and others). Much simpler than doing it myself and I don't have to worry about dropping and breaking anything!

By Peg (Guest Post)

I don't have a dishwasher, but I do know someone who uses hers to clean all the little baskets she has around the house. She says that it does a wonderful job of getting all the dust that gets in the little crannies.

Dishwasher with dishes in it.
Dishwasher Tips and Tricks
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousMarch 29, 2011
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Are the Dishes in the Dishwasher Clean or Dirty?
Washing Silverware in the Dishwasher