Cleaning Velvet Fabric

Can I put 2 large pieces of velvet fabric, that have gotten wet and now smell like mildew, in the washing machine? I figure they're ruined "as is" so what's the difference if I wet them? Any one have any experience with this dilemma?

Juanita from Homewood, IL

Like you said, they are already ruined, what does it matter? I would try it, you may be surprised. I don't think I would put it in the dryer tho.

Just set it on cold, gentle (handwash) cycle. Use a rinse of 1/2 to 3/4 cup white vinegar to remove the smell. Hang to dry and then brush to fluff. Should be just fine! Good luck!

your first two posts are correct. cold water and a bit of vinegar. gentle cycle, plenty of cold rinse water. no dryer!

What happened? Did it work for you?

I had a long piece of velvet that had wax spilled all over it. I used "goo dissolving" liquid that was amazing on the velvet. I even spot cleaned some dirt spots with it. I cleaned the areas with a little liquid detergent and water, using a soft toothbrush. The velvet is like new!

I washed my velvet curtains on gentle cycle. they seem to be fine. I wash all my dry clean only fabrics, so far no problems. i have been doing it for years.

velvet jacket
Cleaning Velvet Clothing and Fabric
Home and Garden Cleaning FabricApril 7, 2006
Fabric Window Blinds
Cleaning Fabric Window Blinds
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcake Recipes
Recipes Using Red Velvet Cake Mix
Recipes Using Red Velvet Cake Mix
Velvet Chair
Cleaning Velvet Upholstery