Mittens - Cat with Extra Toes

This is my family's baby, "Mittens". He's about a year old now. Not sure of the breed but found him as a stray when he was about 2 months old. We noticed his mittens. hence the name, immediately. He has 3 extra claws on each front paw. My younger son who was five at the time named him. We've never been a cat family per say, always dogs and birds, but everyone gets along great and Mittens has shown us how to open our hearts to just about everything.

Mittens Cat

By Lisa

What a great picture. He looks like he found a great home!

Cutie! I like the name, Mittens. He looks like a

friendly, snuggley, guy .

Hi Lisa,

Your Mittens is a "polydactyl", and is a very interesting kitty. Only a polydact can parent another

polydact. The Maine Coon was the first kitty known

to have the gene for being a polydactyl, and Maine

Coon cats are famous for their sweet and loving

dispositions. Because the author Hemingway was

given a cat who was a polydactyl while living in Key

West, Florida, these sweet creatures have carried the

nickname of "Hemingway Cats" ever since. If you'll type in Hemingway Cats, you'll find loads of information regarding your furry baby. From that first

polydact came all the others, and if you ever go to

Key West, and visit the old Hemingway House, you'll see many of them. I think there were over 50 of

them living at the house the last time we visited.

You have a little treasure living with you. :)

All the best,

Julia in Orlando, FL

I have a cat like this. He is 2 and orange. he has 6 toes on both front paws. The vet said they are the best mousers. They were on the ships long ago to catch mice. They are known as Paradactel.I can't spell that. My cat is named hunter aka Kitty Boy

Mittens looks so sweet and is so pretty. It's amazing how those little fluff balls can make one a cat person.

Awwww! What a precious little baby with all those toes:) It looks like he found a wonderful loving home! He is just adorable:)

He is so cute, and I love those big feet and the color!

Hi Lisa, I have a polydactyl cat too. He has 8 toes on each front paw and he is such a love bug. He is my baby. He is white with lemon color on him the markings are like a siamese(spelling) cat has. He also has long hair. Take care of your special kitty.

Robin

I didn't know that there was a special name for this kind of breed. I was just told that it was like a deformity. But I love our little tabby.

Tabatha her name is and she walks with her feet at 10 to 2!!

Was gonna call her sommat like mittens or thumbs but opted for Tabatha as she was tabby.

She wasn't all that affectionate until we had her spayed. Now she follows me all about. Even to the loo!!!

She's a funny little thing.

Lisa,

I also have a polydactyl, she is calico. Her name is Miha. My husband found her on the side of the road all skin and bones she meowed alot so now we call her "Meow". She is such a lover and only sleeps with us. She's no longer skin and bones...kind of a chunk: ) She loves to lay on her back. She is the one on the right..Coco is the other. We love our God send.

I just got a 6 week old kitten last Friday and she has extra toe on her front paws. I named her Autumn. She is so cute! I will send a picture of her next week! The lady I got her from told me she was 9 weeks and ready to go, but she is not 9 weeks. She is six weeks!

This is our Poly cat, his name is Nemo, and he is about 30lbs of love. He is a rescue and we welcomed him w/wide arms into our brood of 6 others.

Tabby Cat
Tabby Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets CatsSeptember 1, 2005
Clover the Tabby Cat
Tabby Cat Photos
Photo of felt mittens.
Making Felt Mittens
hole in sock exposing big toe nail with smiley face
Treating A Damaged Toenail
adhesive bandages
Bandaging Between Toes
🎉
🎄