Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting

These useful kitchen scouring pads have one downfall; they rust. This is a guide about preventing Brillo or SOS pads from rusting.

August 30, 2011 Flag

I use S.O.S. scouring pads for scouring pots and pans. When I'm done, I put the pad in a little plastic baggie and pop it in the freezer until the next time I do pots and pans. This way it doesn't get rusty and fall apart. I've been doing this for many, many years. I'm sure one can do this to a Brillo pad too.

Source: I got this idea so long ago, I actually think it was from Heloese.

By Joy from Greenwood, DE

It's better to use Scotch Brite soap pads they don't rust, and work just as good.

I've always found the soap to harbor moisture, for years I rinsed them well when finished using them, shook out all the water I could and clothespinned it to the little bucket under the sink where I keep dish brushes. They dry out and last for more uses.

Now I just buy plain steel wool at the dollar store and add cleanser powder, comet/bar keepers friend. Usually the box gets water drops on it, over the years I've never used a whole box before it rusted in the box. When I buy a new container I put all off the new ones in a zip bag, and stick the whole thing back in the box under the sink. I rarely use them.

My housekeeper had to clean the oven when my apple pie over flowed its contents during baking. I'm allergic to cleaners, so I told her I had sprayed some vinegar water on it as soon as I took out the pie, so it was quite soft in most places. We use plastic cards from mailings, credit card type as scrapers, they make quick work of cleaning even the non stick cookware.

For the rest of the spill I told her to use cleanser and steel wool. She had never used either product in her life, she's young, everything is non scratching cleaners. She finished the job in a couple of minutes. She was glad I showed her my trick.

I wrap my used sos pads in plastic food wrap keeps them from rusting

June 4, 2010 Flag

To prevent a Brillo pad from getting rusty, rinse after use then shake out all of the excess water. Make sure no more water comes out when you shake it. I even hit the pad against the sink wall a few times. The pad will last so much longer!

June 1, 2014 Flag

I keep my used pad in a small jar with a lid. I had accidentally pushed a pad in a jar to the back of my cabinet and a few months later when I discovered it, it was still unrusted and usable.

September 14, 2007 Flag

How to get the most out of your S.O.S. pads. By putting a layer of baking soda wherever you store your used sos pads will prevent rusting.

April 23, 2008 Flag

Keep your SOS pads in the freezer It stops them from rusting

July 25, 2006 Flag

Keeping Steel Wool Pads from Rusting Tip. Don't throw away that half-used steel wool pad. You can save it from rusting by putting it in a solution of baking soda and water. Change the soda-water solution every once in awhile to keep it fresh. . .

July 18, 2006 Flag

After using a SOS (soapy steel wool) pad, lay it on a piece of tin foil. It will not rust and can be used again.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsFebruary 28, 2012
Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
three pink soap steel wool cleaning pads
SOS Pad Stained Bathroom Fixtures
Scrubbing Pan with SOS Pad
Extending the Life of SOS Pads
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🎉
🎄