Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting

These useful kitchen scouring pads have one downfall; they rust. This is a guide about preventing Brillo or SOS pads from rusting.

steel wool
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I use S.O.S. scouring pads for scouring pots and pans. When I'm done, I put the pad in a little plastic baggie and pop it in the freezer until the next time I do pots and pans. This way it doesn't get rusty and fall apart. I've been doing this for many, many years. I'm sure one can do this to a Brillo pad too.

Source: I got this idea so long ago, I actually think it was from Heloese.

By Joy from Greenwood, DE

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I keep my used pad in a small jar with a lid. I had accidentally pushed a pad in a jar to the back of my cabinet and a few months later when I discovered it, it was still unrusted and usable.

Source: My Mom

To prevent a Brillo pad from getting rusty, rinse after use then shake out all of the excess water. Make sure no more water comes out when you shake it. I even hit the pad against the sink wall a few times. The pad will last so much longer!

By FI1969 from Catonsville, MD

How to get the most out of your S.O.S. pads. By putting a layer of baking soda wherever you store your used sos pads will prevent rusting. I only use a corner of the sos pad for small jobs then put the pad on the soda and you can use it over and over until it's ready to be thrown out without that nasty rust. I use a saucer but anything that is not paper will hold it. I find it amazing.

By Stainless from Toronto, Canada

Keep your SOS pads in the freezer It stops them from rusting

Source: my sister-in-law gave me this tip

By Lisa-Marie from Toronto, Ontario

Keeping Steel Wool Pads from Rusting Tip. Don't throw away that half-used steel wool pad. You can save it from rusting by putting it in a solution of baking soda and water. Change the soda-water solution every once in awhile to keep it fresh. . .

After using a SOS (soapy steel wool) pad, lay it on a piece of tin foil. It will not rust and can be used again.

Home and Garden Cleaning ProductsFebruary 28, 2012
    Photo of a yellow rubber glove.
    Making Your Own Clorox Ready Mop Pads
    three pink soap steel wool cleaning pads
    SOS Pad Stained Bathroom Fixtures
    Scrubbing Pan with SOS Pad
    Extending the Life of SOS Pads
    Thief Breaking into Car
    Preventing Auto Theft
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 3, 2016 at 2:03:23 PM on 10.0.1.182 in 390 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.