ChristmasGifts

Gift Ideas for Grandparents

Every year for Christmas, I never know what to get my grandparents. They have everything. My grandfather loves trains but he has every kind and everything that goes with trains. My grandma loves to make scarfs and different things. I hope someone can help me plan my grandparents Christmas.

Stacy from Indianapolis, Indiana

How about a subscription to the kind of crafting magazine your grandma does? Knitting or her particular "needle" craft. Is there a magazine for training? Or how about books on trains.

edie

Well, I always have the same problem!! But, I think they like it when I make them homemade goodies!! I get a nice container and fill it with homemade bread/cookies---whatever they like to snack on. My Grandma doesn't cook or bake anymore, so she really likes this type of gift.

I have also done calendars----get a blank calendar and do some scrapbooking for the pages, pictures of the family and special moments. This was a fun project for me and now I get this requested as the gift they want. Its truly one of a kind gift!!! Plus I'm not very talented, dont get to scrapbook much....but its the thought that counts and its a personal gift!!!

I'm sure they will love whatever you decide!! Good Luck!!! :)

Stacy, I have this problem every year. My grandma

lives in a retirement home and is 91yrs. She likes

stationary, stamps ( she enjoys writing and reciving

letters. How about gift cards to eat out? She also

likes room freshners. They can't have candles, but you can get the plug ins. I found her a pretty glass

light catcher to hang in her window. Watches with big numbers they can see, nuts, candies, magazine

subscriptions.( espcially like Remonise about their time era).My husband and I love to play domminos

do they have a set? Do they like crossword puzzles?

or bird feeders? the Hummingbird are so cute to watch. Good luck! Joyce

My grandmother has everything, and then some...so I get her a nice card, a hand written letter, and a gift certificate to her favorite place to eat.

She loves getting cards, as well as giving them, so that's the easy part, but it's certainly not enough by my way of thinking. She does not care all that much for getting gift certificates, but I feel better by spending money (YAY for capitalism!). It all get's tied together with the letter where I do a run down of all that happened throughout the past year, as well as telling her how wonderful of a person she is.

Before you take any other suggestions, you may wish to wander around her house...she may already have four or five calendars (mine does) and her windows and shelves are all already full...

On another note, hand made anythings are also great. My grandmother would gladly remove some store bought thing to replace it with something you made yourself.

Q

I AGREE A NICE GIFT BASKET OF HOMEMADE GOODIES IS A PLUS AT ANY AGE

GIFT CARDS TO A LOCAL RETAILER,A BEAUTY SHOP,BARBER,MAYBE SOME HOMEMADE SCENTED SOAPS,MAYBE A FAMILY PHOTE(RECENT)HOW ABOUT PAYING A POWER OR PHONE BILL FOR 1 MONTH.A FRUIT BASKET.....

A beautiful bouquet or potted plant.

the best gift is family....so give them pictures of their grandkids in their usual environment...pictures of work...in the kitchen...mowing the lawn...

whatever makes them a part of your everyday lives. make it a scrapbook with comments under the pictures. maybe referring to a time when you learned a certain way to cook a dish from grandma or when grandpa showed you how to take care of tools. or when you wished they could be there to enjoy that time or that sunset together. good luck.

Hi Stacy, The best gift you can give is spending time with your Grandparents. Take them to an activity they wouldn't get to do without you driving them there. Maybe a train show for your Grandfather. Your Grandmother will love just wandering around with you! Trust me, it will be a day to remember. IF not, what about a picture of all of you together? They can show it to friends and tell them how wonderful you are!

How about a custom-made calendar-Take 12 fotos of you, your siblings or whatever you think they might enjoy, maybe near a train museum or the like if there is one around you, and a print shop like Kinkos can make it into a calendar.

what about a coupon book for time with family. once a week she could redeem a coupon either for dinner at her home or a restarant

Do they have a DVD player? You can get several of the old TV series on DVD now. If they had a favorite, Andy Griffith, etc., maybe they would enjoy a boxed set.

If you live nearby, maybe once a month you could invite them over for dinner. My mother used to love coming to my house for dinner. She said food tastes better when you don't have to cook it yourself. I'm not much of a cook but she'd rave about the meal for weeks after. It was the highlight of her month.

Thank you all for the good ideas. Now i know few things i could get them. Thanks alot everybody!

stacy