LaundryCleaning

Stinky Wash

Category Laundry

Hi, all everytime I do a wash even if I take it out right away it stinks even if I only put a half load on so I know its not cause I'm putting in too much I wondered could I have socks and stuff rotting somewhere inside as it is like a damp smell but can go smelly? Also any suggestions. I have had the machine for four years new from shop and it's a good make?

- Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Running an empty wash load (no clothes, just fill and run) with 1/2 cup each vinegar and baking soda will help clean up the washer and remove odors.

There is also a possibility that there is a dirty filter underneath the cup for the fabric softener. If you pull that section out, lint, hair, etc. gathers in there and that may be your problem. If there's a lot of buildup and it never really dries, that could be the smell.

Let us know if and how you solve the problem.

- Susan from ThriftyFun

We have a Maytag Perfoma washer, purchased three years ago, new. The clothes have not been stinky, but the machine itself, and the whole laundry area stank. My husband called Maytag. The answer he got is that this particular machine has a design flaw: water and detergent wash up over the edge of the tub and accumulate outside the washing tub but inside the body of the washing machine. Left to itself, that becomes a black sludge that stinks. My husband disassembled the washer, cleaned it all with Greased Lightning, and the stink is gone.

I was told by a salesman that the Maytag Neptuine has an issue with standing water between the door and gasket that cause standing water to build up making all clothes smelly.

thankyou kate,susan i will look into these options and see what i can do thankyou for everyones help

god bless

lisa xx

My appliance guy says it is from a build up of too much soap. He said if you have clean city water, then to use only half the recommended soap. Too much soap and the enzymes will build up and die with nothing to "eat" ie clean. Then the dead enzymes build up inside and cause the smell. He said to wash a load (or more if smell is really bad) with hot water and vinegar. Seems to make sense since I use more and more soap because of the smell and the problem has kept getting worse!!! I am trying it right now so I hope it works!

We called a repairman to remove smell from our front load washing machine before the warranty went off. He showed us how fungus was covering the whole inside of the washer and said he couldn't even clean it by hand. The only thing that he know of to clean it was a washing machine cleaner called "Purewasher" off the internet. It took only two washes and big chunks of fungus were draining out. It was absolutely disgusting to think that we had been washing our clothes in that!

I've been having problems with my front loader gasket getting funky. I listened to the Radio commentator last night, Michael Gallagher, talk about it. It was hilarious, and brought me to this web site. Thanks for the tips, and thank Michael Gallagher

Hello,

I have a Amana with Antimicrobial, but it still smells. Is it possible to have mildew grows in the tubs when they are already treated with the antimicrobial agent?