Craft: Scented Holiday Fire-Starters

Here is an easy craft to make ahead for holiday gifts! Great gift for anyone with a fireplace!

Materials

• Paper baking cups
  • Sawdust
  • wax or used candles
  • oil of cinnamon or your choice of essential oil

Instructions

The first thing you should do is get the wax heating. If you don't have a double boiler, you can use a jar in a pot of water as shown in photo.

While wax is melting, fill paper cups with sawdust. At this time, if essential oil is being used, add one drop into each cup of sawdust.

Pour melted wax in paper cups, just enough to cover the sawdust. Use a spoon to push down floating sawdust if you wish. You can fill wax to top, but I prefer more sawdust. Allow to cool and harden. Package as you like: ribbons, basket etc.

To use: Place 1-3 in the kindling/logs in fireplace

Hint: The thrifty way to find wax is to use old candles or check your local dollar store for the biggest candle they have! The two jars shown in the pot are half spent candles from the dollar store: already colored and scented like cinnamon! When wax is melted, use a fork to scoop out the wick and base, these can be saved for making homemade candles later;-)

By Starchild in VT

FireStarters889x221.gif

GREAT idea! Thanks for sharing.

Great idea but with the wax, are they difficult to light?

I'm so glad someone post this idea. I was just about to ask anyone if they ever heard of the candled pinecones that are scented that are used for the fireplace in order to get a nice aroma from the burning wood in your fireplace. I would like to know how to do that with the pinecones if anyones knows please? It was years ago at a craft fair when i saw someone selling them. She had them in all sorts of colors and scents.And she displayed them in a basket until one was needed.She said that they burned slow but gave off color change and scent when burned with your firewood. I assume this method is the same thing. One question though to the person who post this great idea? Does the wax when melted later after the fire has gotten cold make a mess to get the wax off the bricks on the bottom where it would drip?

I now have a fireplace and want to do one of these methods. I really want to try the pinecones in the scented wax if anyone can tell me how to please? thanks

i would not think candle wax would be good for your chimney. sounds like a fire hazard

I have used the pinecones dipped in wax and love them. I also used old candle wax. They start your fire really fast. When it starts dying down and I want the logs to relight, I throw a few more in and they take off again. I recently cleaned my fireplace and did not notice anything like a wax buildup because of them. I was worried a little about it too, but I'm not now because I didn't notice any buildup. Somewhere on the internet, there is a page that shows what to soak the pinecones in to get the different colors, such as a salt solution, and there are others, I don't remember them though. Search for something like colored fires, sodium, etc.

what do you use for a wick and how do you add it?

I like the idea of your fire-starters, but my question is can you use them in wood burning stoves?

Hi I make wax scented bears rag balls and such and they are very simple to make but remember that wax has a flash point which is why you can use them to start fire. Most flash points start at about 180 degrees. and the person who put this on did a very good illustration of fire starters.

If you want to do pine cone you'll need a double boiler, an old set of pot holders and a set of tongs. Once you melt the wax just dip the cnme and have some old newspaper to place them on to dry. hope this helps. Denise

Denise thanks for helping me with the pinecone waxing. I have a question though please? I want to have them scented so do I put the scent in the melted wax before I dip them? Also, everyone talks about essentail oils when they talk about using candle wax for things. But I went into walmart yesterday (in the craft section) and all i saw was the liquid fragrance oils like for potpourie simmering pots, I read them but they never said the word essitail oil on it. Can I use those for the fragrance in the melted wax to dip the cones in? if not where do i get the right type of scented oils to use? thanks I really appreciate your help. julie

denise can you also tell me what & how you make the item you mentioned called "wax scented bears rag balls" i can't visualize what that is. its sounds pretty and intriging. would love to know or see a picture of them. thanks:)

I do something similar, but use dryer lint and cardboard egg containers with melted wax. Not very pretty, but very functional and cheap. I'll be adding the cinnamon oil from now on.

Homemade firestarters made in muffin tins
Homemade Fire Starters
Photos CraftsNovember 2, 2007
LIttle BOy Looking in the Mirror at his Fire Fighter Costume
Making a Fire Fighter Costume
house fire
Making a Fire Escape Plan for Your Family
Scented Bars of Soap
Uses for Scented Soap
🎉
🎄