Reuse Cooking Water In Garden

By steaming your veggies (and for those that still boil or microwave them), there are still a lot of minerals left in the water that we dispose of down the drain. I re-purpose this mineral rich water for my bedding plants! My neighbors think I have a "green thumb", but I am only being green by reusing the waste water that is infused with minerals. I have been doing this for over 20 years and always have the best flowering and growing plants on the block!

By Trisha from Ventura, CA

February 3, 2010 Flag

Save water! Rather than throw leftover water down the drain (from drinking cups or boiling food), use it. I keep a watering can outside my kitchen door that I use to water small outdoor plants. When I go to use it, it's already filled and ready to use.

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

Reuse Cooking Water In Garden

You can also do this with dishwater. Ignore the people who say that it kills the grass and trees; it really doesn't. In fact, that is the only way my family was able to have a garden for a few years that we lived in town, when there was a drought and a ban on water wastage. Our tomatoes, green beans, and peppers all grew just as well as before and after.

Cheers! (06/06/2007)

By Pauly-Wauly

Reuse Cooking Water In Garden

Save water that vegetables were cooked in for making soups. (06/06/2007)

By Poco

Reuse Cooking Water In Garden

Not only can you use leftover cooking water (no salt, vinegar, oils added), use dishwater. It actually helps keep down pests. I know, I grew up farming. Also keep leftover black coffee and unsweetened tea. Roses and blueberries love it. Also I pour excess in my compost. A little tea is good for most house plants too. (06/07/2007)

Better Living Green Living Conservation WaterFebruary 3, 2010
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Cooking eggs in hot water.
Reusing Cooking Water