Smelly Faucet or Pipes

I recently moved into a 75 year old home, and noticed that the upstairs bathroom sink smells. It seems after I wash my hands they smell fishy, and yes the water has an odor. I did get a building inspection and it was never pointed out... maybe the guy didn't feel the need to wash his hands. I do have the "J" pipe under the sink, it looks like PVC pipe, and I have cleaned my filter in the faucet. I do not notice this smell anywhere else in the house. Has anyone ran into this in their homes?

Erin from St. Louis, MO

I found this on a plumbing web site. I hope it helps!

Q: I have a bad odor coming from either my drain or the faucet itself (in bathroom). Smells like rotten eggs! I think it's coming from the faucet because it starts smelling as soon as I turn the water on. Any suggestions?

A: Karen,

Do you have this problem at all outlets. If you do it is a water problem. Or you will probably find it is coming from the drain. Soap buildup etc in the drain is being activated as the water hits it. Clean the drainpipe and I am sure you will solve the problem. (If you can't fix it hold your nose.)

Good luck

Once a week I put a couple teaspoons of baking soda down the pipes and then pour some vinegar down. It will foam up. Let it set for a bit and then run water to clean it out. It works for me, maybe it will for you.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJuly 10, 2007
Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
Remedies for Stinky Pipes
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
A frozen outdoor water faucet.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Frozen faucet.
Keeping Water Pipes from Freezing