Cigarette Smoke on Leather

I just purchased a $188 leather Fossil purse on eBay and it reeks of cigarette smoke. It is horrible! Any ideas how to get rid of the smell?

By Deb from SC

Just some advice. Do not use saddle soap on your handbags. It is much too alkaline and will cause pH damage. Lysol spray is a great smoke odor remover for handbags. As mentioned above, if your leather is finished water/vinegar solution is good and the baking soda can help. If you have a designer bag that stains with water. Do not use any liquid type of cleaner. Lovin My Bags Cleaner is non-darkening and has a wonderful aromatic scent that can camouflage the smoke odor nicely.

I bought a designer leather jacket on ebay and it reeked of cigarette smoke. Here's what I did after reading the many posts on this forum and others:

*Turned inside-out and sprayed lining with Fabreeze.

*Put in dryer (no heat) for 30 minutes with 6 fabric softener sheets and a baby tube sock filled with baking soda.

*Hung outside overnight.

*Repeated above 3 days in a row.

*Wiped leather with cloth soaked in solution of 50/50 vinegar & water. Did this just once.

*Hung outside overnight again.

*Wiped leather with neats foot oil.

*Allowed to dry for 24 hours & hung outside overnight.

*Repeated above twice.

This finally got rid of the smoke odor and I now have a beautiful leather jacket that I paid $60 for. Good luck.

I think I would contact the seller and complain, first! You can to try to get the smell out, though. Put the handbag in a garbage bag with crumpled newspaper for a few days. If the smell remains, back into a garbage bag wirh some charcoal briquets. If it STILL stinks, try the garbage bag with baking soda. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will.

Get some odor eaters shoe inserts and stuff pieces in every section and pocket. Hang outside in the sun. Sunshine is a powerful deodorizer. This may take several months but it will work. I used it with a leather wallet I bought on ebay.

You can take it to your local dry cleaners and they should be able to get the smell out. Good luck.

I sympathize. I have had a similar problem. If the seller did not advertise the fact that it came from a smokers house, you can get a case opened on E'Bay. I did. It's a vile smell. I think the hanging outside and a soft cloth slightly dampened with water and baking soda solution. Try an inconspicuous area first! Other ideas are-lavender essential oil diluted in warm water-shake mixture well (oil sits on top of water) and (again on an inconspicuous area), clean leather-don't saturate it! Helped me!

Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 24, 2011
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
Cigarettes
Cigarette Smoke Odors From Neighbors
A man smoking a cigarette and wearing a black leather jacket.
Removing Cigarette Smell from Leather Jacket
Men's leather winter boots.
Removing Smoke Odor from Leather Boots
🎉
🎄