Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Vegetable Oil to Restore a Wooden Table

I have an old dining room set (26 yrs old) that I would like to bring out the finish on, or renew it with the least amount of work or bother. Is there maybe something that I could rub on with a cloth that wouldn't require a protective finish afterward? Thanks to all who respond.

By Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By it's.only.me [165]05/06/2009

Use lemon oil, I found it in Wal-mart. I apply a thin cover to my dining room table every couple of months. I let it soak in awhile, maybe a half-hour or so. I then wipe it down with a clean cotton cloth. Wood can dry out and this nourishes and protects the wood. Use the oil sparingly, a little goes a long way.

04/28/2009

Zap Professional Wood Restorer is great for that. It can be purchased online.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Vegetable Oil to Restore a Wooden Table

I tried something recently that I wanted to share. I may have gotten the tip here or perhaps it was somewhere else online. Anyway, if you've got a worn wooden tabletop that you want to restore, just use vegetable oil.

Our oak kitchen table wasn't looking too good. Too many times of wiping off had worn the finish in areas and it also looked dull. I just cleaned it real well first using a micro-fiber cloth, and then poured a little vegetable oil in several places directly on the table. I wiped it over the table completely and as evenly as I could get with a paper towel. I then let it set on the table for a while and then wiped it down with more paper towels.

It worked like magic. It's as though the table top got refinished. You can't see the worn spots anymore. Also it has a very nice sheen. I plan to do it to our oak end table as well. Give it a try. It's easy and sure is frugal!

By Debbie52 from IL

RE: Vegetable Oil to Restore a Wooden Table

Instead of vegetable oil, use mineral oil as it won't rot . Vegetable oil will go bad or rancid. Mineral oil will not and will not affect you as it is digestible. (03/24/2008)

By carlG

After a while vegetable oil will sometimes get "sticky" on wood, but mineral oil will not. So use mineral oil, instead of vegetable oil. (03/24/2008)

By Sharon

Thanks for this great tip and using the mineral oil instead. I have hardwood floors that are in need of replacing. I can't afford it just yet, so instead used the oil on the floors and it looks great. Thanks (03/25/2008)

By Karyn01

Veg. oil goes rancid after a while. Mineral oil or baby oil is what you really want. Baby oil is just mineral oil with a scent added.

But what really works best is Dimethicone or Silicone, as in "Frizz-eze" or "Citre-shine" hair serum. Great for hair, nails, face, skin, elbows, feet, chapped lips, door hinges, etc. And also to shine & clean aluminum, stainless steel, and restore shine & buff up wood. Amazing stuff. Look for Dimethicone in the first word of the ingredients. (03/25/2008)

By Cyinda

Vegetable oil will go rancid. It's best to use turtle wax. A tip from the Keno twins on Antiques Road Show. (03/27/2008)

I used the oil used in marinated cheese and got fantastic results. Not only has the wooden table been brought back to new, but it also has that sweet cheese scent....mmm, I love cheese! (12/17/2008)

By Steve