Memory Garden Stepping Stones

I save and collect broken glass and other little findings. Then I put 2 inches of cement in the bottom of a 5 or 3 gallon bucket then I press the pieces of glass and things on top. I will be making these for Christmas gifts this year.

I am going to New Orleans next month to help rebuild. I plan to bring home or mail myself as many shards as I can. I will make memory stepping stones out of them and maybe even a wall plaque.

My tip is, if you break something, don't throw it out! Recycle it!

By April from Buffalo, NY

Hi April, These are GREAT! Maybe you can do some stepping stones with your hand imprint and the shards around it.

Hi I was wondering do you put the cement inside the bucket or on top with the bucket upside down. If you pour it inside how do you get the cement out after it has hardened?

What a WONDERFUL idea! It's got me thinking about endless possibilities : ))

Hi April, that is so pretty. I really love this idea. I love mosaics anyway, this is terrific. I cannot wait to try. My question also is how to remove it from the bucket? Cadi

Very nice Could you tell me how much concrete you use for the form? ratio of water and concrete I'd like to know the approximate depth x circumference of the form used. Lastly was it quickcrete or regular concrete?

I have two forms I want to use that are 1x 16x16

If anyone is interested in learning to make stepping or garden stones..www.hgtv.com..Rebecca's garden has some interesting stones with instructions

How do you take it out and how do you get the glass in the small pieces and lay it so no one will get cut when they step on the stone?

I'd like to re-ask both questions from previous people.

* What type of cement & how does it come out (can ya re-use the bucket?)

* Could you maybe line the bucket with greese or maybe clingwrap?

If the clingwrap would work, maybe one could actually cut that 5-gallon bucket in rings & then place each ring on wood....making 3 or 4 stones with go at it.

April

Many thanks for a great idea. History in the making, a time capsule at your feet; you don't have to write it down - just stick the shards and objects that tell the story in plain old cement. Any shape or size will do, as the cement dries it should shrink a little allowing easy extraction from the mould. Wonderful idea for clubs or schools.

No need to grease the bucket, like Alan24 said, it shrinks when it dries. I use whatever cement is cheapest. I put 20 cups of cement to make them 2" thick. I don't measure the water just pour it in till it seems just right. Not to much or the water covers the shards. Wait 3 days for it to dry. I keep it moist with a damp rag on top. After 3 days I turn it upside down, tap around the sides and bottom with a lot of rags under it so it falls out onto a soft surface. If you do some Google searching, you can find many free step by step directions.

I just tap the larger pieces of glass between two rags. Hand and foot prints will be my next projects. The possibilities are endless!

Thank you all for your feedback.

April

you need to see this its so cool. www.garden-steppingstone.com

Stepping Ston With "Sheri's Garden" on it
Homemade Stepping Stones
Home and Garden Gardening Memorial GardensAugust 30, 2006
Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Making Hypertufa Stepping Stones
Mold and Concrete Stepping Stone
Making Concrete Stepping Stones
Making Concrete Patio Blocks
Making Concrete Patio Blocks
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
🎄