Ask Stores for Packaging Materials

When I decided to start doing some internet business, I was appalled at the cost of shipping materials and packaging. The post office offers "free" boxes if you use the priority or flat rate choices, but I have found that unless I am shipping small, heavy objects, these options are way too costly. Those "free" boxes come with a price.

One day I was shopping my favorite Dollar Store and they were unpacking newly arrived goods. The boxes were small, manageable, and were filled with peanuts and bubble wrap. I asked for a couple and was told I could have them all! I helped myself to as many as I could carry and asked when the shipments came in. The cleck kindly gave me a rough schedule and said I could come as often as I liked to get boxes and packing filler. Now they even save me "special" sizes if I tell them what I need. The store is happy to have me take them as it cuts down on their disposal costs and I get all the FREE packaging I can use.

I have expanded my packaging re-cycling stops to include a dress shop where I get plastic hangers and garment covers for free, and a vegetable market where I collect fruit boxes for storage of my merchandise. These boxes come with corrugated trays that keep the fruit from crushing and do the same for my items. No need to wrap! I just put items in a box, layer it with a tray and store until I need the something. And all at my favorite price - FREE!

By plumcottage from in a cottage at the Shore

For years I've gone to Liquor Stores for boxes. Their boxes are heavy duty and are great especially when moving. I find them to be perfect for dishes, small breakables and books. They are more than happy to give you as many as you want also.

PlumCottage, this is my fave kind of tip. #1, free stuff. #2, cutting down on landfill additions. #3, recycling and being "green." Thumbs up!

Forgot to say... Dorothy, the only down side to reusing liquor store boxes is the residual liquor odor. Wouldn't bother some, but would distress a devout teetotaller.

A box with packing peanuts in it
Saving Money on Packing Materials
Better Living Frugal Living TipsSeptember 30, 2010
Plastic Packaging
Removing Plastic Packaging
Yellow Plastic Container on White Background
Uses for Plastic Packaging
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎉
🎄