Moist Zucchini Bread

This won me first prize at a county fair some years ago. It's an easy way to get a green veggie into youngsters. Zucchini alone doesn't really appeal to me, but with this recipe if you don't tell, they won't know!

• 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 3 eggs (at room temp., beaten)
  • 1 cup oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 3 cups flour (all purpose)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, very well-drained
  • flaked coconut, nuts, or chocolate chips (optional)

Greased 2 8x4x2 inch loaf pans (or the equivalent which will hold 4 cups batter).

Combine beaten eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla, and pineapple in a mixing bowl. Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and add the above. Blend well, then stir in the grated zucchini. Stir well and divide between the two greased loaf pans.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 50 minutes. Test with a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, move to wire racks to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto the wire rack to cool completely.

Note: These freeze well up to 3 months. I also make and freeze individual slices.

Servings: 2 loaves
Time:30 Minutes Preparation Time
50 Minutes Cooking Time

By Keeper from NC

I don't think my family and friends would know the difference between zucchini and banana bread since I often add small amounts of apple sauce or banana to almost any of the quick or "Tea" breads that I make.

If I add the coconut to this one, they might think they're eating one of my concoctions of a mixture of banana, apple and crushed pineapple that I often make when I only have one ripe banana for instance. They are going to love this bread and especially if I add chocolate chips to the batter.

This recipe sounds so good Keeper, and is indeed a "Keeper".

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Thumbs Up!

I will be planting zucchini squash for the first time ever this year. I've often seen other gardens and know they're very prolific which is what I'm going for this season. I intend to share with a couple of my neighbors who have lost jobs in the past year, and with several children in their families, I'm sure they'll appreciate the extra hand in feeding them.

I'm collecting as many zucchini recipes as possible to offer them in addition to the zucchini. For myself, I plan to make this delicious sounding bread one of my first projects. I am so looking forward to warm weather and a bumper crop of everything I plant.

Now, if only we don't have too much rain.

Thank you Keeper. I agree with Pookarina. Your recipe is definitely a "Keeper".

MisMachado,thank you for you nice comments. I wish you a plentiful crop. It's a great thing for you to bless your neighbors.

Pookarina, thank you also for your thumbs up. I thought this would be good with some molasses in it but I don't experiment well. Any suggestions?

Ooh, this sounds absolutely yummy! Now I wish I knew someone who'll be growing zucchini this year. Personally, though, I'd use chocolate chips rather than coconut.

You've got quite a lot going on in your flavors already in this zucchini bread. I think I'd save the molasses for something like a good old-fashioned gingerbread...either a cake, or cookies, or even a spicy-orange or apple and nut cake.

I'm just afraid that the molasses would over-power the pineapple which in my opinion, is a really great addition.

It goes well with coconut, nuts or chocolate. Rule Number One....."Don't fix it if it ain't broke". LOL

It's been a while since I ate or made zucchini bread, but we always enjoyed it a lot. Your recipe sounds so good,

and it's inspiring me to mend my lazy ways. :-)

Our grocery stores are advertising yellow or zucchini squash this week for $1.29 a pound, and it may not get any cheaper. Now is the time.

Thank you Keeper.

Suziq9, only $1.29 a pound?. I was telling a couple friends the other day that our groceries should be gift wrapped at the check out especially produce. :)

Bananas, I noticed went up $0.20 in three days here in NC and green peppers are becoming a luxury.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads QuickMarch 21, 2011
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
zucchini cake
Zucchini Dessert Recipes
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes