Training an Aggressive Yorkie

We have an 18 month old Yorkie. She has become very aggressive and bites when she has something she shouldn't have and at times when you try to pick her up. It is getting worse. She had professional obedience training as a pup, and I still reinforce that training, but to no avail. She still will not mind off leash. We are at our wits end here. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By glo from Rockford, IL

Yorkie lying on rug.

Have you had your dog to the vet lately? He may be sick and not want to be bothered and that is why he is being so aggressive. You might want to call a vet for advice (cheaper) before taking him in.

My 4 year old male dachshund still does this and he has been to obedience training also. He's real possessive of his things. He's worse when he gets out of his routine like when we go visit relatives out of town. Sometimes a "swat" with my house shoe will get him to stop his bad behavior is I can catch him; he runs under the bed when he knows I'm unhappy at him. I've more or less got him figured out and know when to give him his space and leave him alone. Pets are like people in the sense that when they are tired they want to be left alone. Your dog is still young and he may get much better if he knows you mean business. I'd try "swatting" him lightly to startle him and see if that helps. It helps with my dog.

Thanks tx betty for your thoughts. I was always told not to hit or swat the dog but I think it is time. she is not possessive of her things; it is when she gets other peoples things that she gets nasty if we try to retrieve it. Socks, tissue, etc. As someone mentioned the vet; last summer she had stomach problems and has been on a special food from the vet;this summer she is fine except for the aggression, that is. Even as a pup, when we said no, she got angry and worse. She is an angel at the groomer and at the vet. How about that. I think it is my household and how they treat her (spoil her) Time will tell; household will soon be changing.

Go to the National Geographic channel and watch Cesar Milan Aka Dog Whisperer . I watch him all the time even if it's a rerun.I have a Shih Zsu and a Schnauser Terrier mix. And they have issues and by watching Cesar I've learned a lot about behavior issues. A lot of their aggression was because of me. You have to become a pack leader because right now your dog is the pack leader. That doesn't mean you have to hit them. Just watch his shows a few times and see for yourself if he makes sense. To me he makes a lot of sense and I have much better dogs because I use his techniques. Give it a try !1 pam in Mo.

I appreciate everyone's comments. ty

Training an Aggressive Dog
Pets Dogs Training AdviceJuly 12, 2011
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
Akita Breed Information and Photos
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog