Instant Oatmeal Packets

Make your own "instant" oatmeal bags. Measure out a weeks worth of oatmeal and place into ziploc snack bags. To each bag, add 1 tsp. chopped nuts and 2 tsp. chopped dates for date nut flavor. F

or maple flavor, add 1 1/2 tsp. brown sugar and a pinch of salt. You can substitute any dried fruits, according to your tastes. Don't forget to re-use the zip lock bags!

Try different flavors. Use cinnamon or pumpkin or apple pie spices. Add syrup or honey instead of sugar. Coconut is good, and so is nearly any fresh fruit. If you can't have sugar, use whatever artificial sweetener you choose.

Flavor extracts and coffee syrups can also be used to create different flavors. You save money, use less sugar, and save on calories too.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

I make a large batch at a time and keep it on my counter in one of those see through containers. I also keep a measuring cup in it so everything is handy. I use 5 cups quick oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup powdered milk and whatever dried fruit you wish to use or you can use fresh also but of course would add that when you go to cook it. I use craisins because they are my favorite dried fruit. I measure out a cup of water in a pyrex measuring cup and add 1/2 cup of the oatmeal mixture. I eat it every morning. I am not so sure but what I didn't get the recipe on Thrifty Fun.

October 5, 2010 Flag

Check the cereal aisle for more flavor ideas. The possibilities are endless!

Ingredients

• 3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
  • Salt
  • 8 Plastic Sandwich Bags

Directions

Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and whirl at high speed until powdery; reserve in a small bowl and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, powder the 1 cup of oats in one motion. Into each sandwich bag put 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt. Store in a box or airtight container.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water; stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water; for thinner, use more water. (I microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 minutes or until done on high)

Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp. chopped dried apples.

Cinnamon-Spice Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, and a scant 1/8 tsp. nutmeg.

Fruit and Cream: To each packet add 1 Tbsp. dry milk and 2 Tbsp. dried fruit or fresh fruit after cooking or jam.

Oatmeal with Raisins and Brown Sugar: To each packet add 1 Tbsp. packed brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. raisins.

Sweetened Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar

Wheat Germ Oatmeal: To each packet add 2 Tbsp. any kind of wheat germ

Shared By IMAQT1962 from ILLINOIS

From: http://www.heart4home.net/giftsinajar

Thanks to Leslie for permission to print!

Answers:

Instant Oatmeal Packets

You should write a book. You have such great ideas and recipes. (10/17/2006)

By Gina in Illinois

Instant Oatmeal Packets

Thanks for posting this! I'm always looking for ways to be thrifty and this family loves instant oatmeal but we go through it so fast! And it's so expensive even on sale when you are on a budget that I don't buy it as often as I'd like.

I can't wait to try all the different flavors! (10/17/2006)

By mikki

Instant Oatmeal Packets

You know when I first got started on this website I not only enjoyed all the advice and recipes I got, but I enjoyed entering the tip contest. It was exciting to have your tip picked. Somewhere along the way, it became because I enjoyed being able to help people.
(10/17/2006)

By imaqt1962

Instant Oatmeal Packets

That seems like too much work. I buy them when they are Buy 1 Get 1 Free and since I get two newspapers on Sundays, I use two coupons, and the oatmeal comes out to a dollar or less for two boxes. (10/18/2006)

By Lily

Instant Oatmeal Packets

I don't know, I have most of these ingredients on hand anyway and it doesn't look like it would take that much time to do these. Plus it would give me some bonding time with the kids as they could help do them. You are lucky. I don't get buy one free where I'm from and only get 1 newspaper. Our generic brand is still almost $3.00 A box. Too expensive for me :(

So i guess for now I'll still to making mine from scratch (10/18/2006)

By Sara

Instant Oatmeal Packets

We've done these before. There not really hard or time consuming ,although I don't put mine in a blender. I just use regular oatmeal and add my flavors to each baggy then I can just grab one when I'm in a hurry. There are so many different flavors you can make (10/18/2006)

By Jessica

Instant Oatmeal Packets

Lily, what kind do you buy where you get them b1g1? How lucky for you. Quaker never has them that cheap here, otherwise we have Roundy's which is a store brand sometimes at $1.00 but very rarely. Aldi's has their brand cheap but around 1.29/1.39 per box. (10/18/2006)

By mikki

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Jar of instant oatmeal.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Convenience MixesOctober 7, 2010
A bowl of oatmeal.
Saving Money On Oatmeal
Carnation Instant Breakfast Recipes
Carnation Instant Breakfast Recipes
Package of Ramen Noodles
Uses for Ramen Seasoning Packets
🎉
🎄