Homemade Pumpkin Mix from Scratch?

My husband and I bought some extra pumpkins for this Halloween season. We carved one but will use the other others to eat. Of course we'll roast the seeds.

Does anybody know what is the best and easiest way of cooking a pumpkin so that I will have pumpkin puree/mix for future pumpkin pies?

I plan on packaging and freezing extras and using them for pies in the future. Methods of cooking and duration of cooking time tips would be greatly appreciated.

You'll want to cook the pumpkin first--cut it in pieces, remove the seeds, and bake it in the oven (at 350 degrees until tender--about an hour?). Some people boil it, but that leaves the flesh too moist and runny after processing. Baking will cook it and dry it out a little. You can peel it either before or after the baking. I have a contraption called a Victorio Strainer that I run my squash through, but if you don't have one, I'd mash the pulp with a potato masher or try a blender.

Package it in 2-cup portions, put it in a sandwich bag, lay flat and freeze.

I find the easiest way is to bake the Pumpkin. First my husband cuts them into large chunks. Then I put them on a foil covered baking sheet with sides & bake at 325°F

for about an hour.(this depends on the thickness of the pumpkin & the size of the chunks) Just bake until tender. Then let cool for a bit and scrape the pulp our with a large spoon. Then whirl in the food processor in small batches until it resembles the pumpkin you buy in the can. If it is too wet, drain it before you package it for the freezer.

ps - package in amounts that your favorite recipes call for.

Cut your pumpkin in half and deseed. Faster than the oven.....place some plastic wrap over each half and cook on high in the microwave for about 7 minutes per side. The microwave does not dry it out like the oven will. Puree and freeze in amounts you need for your favorite pumpkin muffin, cheesecake or pie.

thanks everybody for your great tips!

I wouldn't use carving pumpkins for things like pumpkin pie. The flesh is really too tasteless. The best for pumpkin pies, etc, is a sugar, or pie, pumpkin. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy bits and place cut-side down in a baking dish and bake at 350 until the flesh is soft. Scoop out the pulp to use. I've found that one average-size pie pumpkin will yield enough puree for 2 pies, or the equivalent of 2 small cans of pumpkin. Good luck!

Camilla

Has anyone ever used a regular carving pumpkin?

You should make pumpkin doughnuts with an apple cider glaze! It sounds gross but they are really good! I don't know the recipe but I am sure that you can just type it in to google!

When you cook your pumpkin, you can just wash it and place on a cookie sheet, I use an old one and bake it like you would a bake potatoe in the oven, depending on the size, poke it with a fork if it goes in smoothly, then it is done, if not what a little longer and try again. I got this from a recipe book from the 20's it was given to my mother when she got married. I think she said its Meta Given, or gibbons?